CI Photocommunity

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

Comparison of contax light meters

G

I have an Aria, RX and S2, along with a handheld meter.

The RX, S2 and meter agree closely for different intensities and coloured subjects

The Aria over exposes anything blue by almost 2 stops, but is spot on for greens and greys.

Has anyone had a similar experience with theirs? I wonder if the metering cells have different sensitivities

G

I've noticed that my Aria tends to be overly sensitive to red light. In Luca de Alfaro's review of the Aria (
Please, Log in or Register to view URLs content!
) he discusses this problem with the meter.

G

The only problem I've had with my two Aria bodies is with the segmented metering mode. Both invariably overexpose light-colored subjects taken in bright frontal light. I had an e-mail discussion with a Contax rep who checked with the technicians, who told him the segmented metering mode is intended to prevent underexposure in backlight situations, primarily, with color-negative users in mind. A careful reading of the instruction manual indicates the man was telling the truth. I never use the segmented metering mode any more, but rely with few problems on the center-weighted and spot modes. On the other hand, the segmented meter modes in all of my Canon EOS bodies (RT, A2 and Elan II) are quite reliable in all but the trickiest lighting.