CI Photocommunity

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

Comparison Zeiss Planar 1.4/50mm vs Zeiss Distagon 1.4/35mm

A

Andi

Hi friends,
recently I did a comparison of the Planar 1.4/50mm and the Distagon 1.4/35mm in terms of optical performance especially in terms of flare. Both lenses are MM-Versions.
I shot a few pictures of a mostly white coloured house in the middle of a green garden at a sunny day on Velvia 100, starting with apertures wide open and stopped it down one step by each picture.

I was very surprised when I saw the results. The Planar was very soft from 1.4 to 2.8 caused by internal flare whereas the Distagon wasn't, even wide open ! This result was astonishing to me because the Distagon is the older and more complex lens construction !

In terms of sharpness both lenses are comparable, a little soft wide open but very good from 2.8 upwards.

Colour reproduction is different between both. The Planar tends towards bluish whereas the Distagon seems very well balanced.

Is there anybody out there who has made similar or different experiences ?