DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

User comments btil June 2003

I must admit to being a bit disappointed with my Minilux. Best results are during daylight using 100 asa film or slower. much above 200 and quality looks more akin to a camera costing a third of a minilux. My main gripe is the results at night using the flash. I like to take a lot of party pics which was my main reason for buying a Leica p & s instead of SLR but have to say that most of my pics are not of the quality I would expect from this flagship p & s camera.

I'm actually considering trading in for a Canon G2 or G3 digital (I can't afford the new Digilux)

>I bought a Minilux Zoom. Shot two rolls with it. Traded it up for a Konica >Hexar RF. Good idea.

Peter,

Do you have the Minilux/Summarit or the Minilux-Zoom?

Justin

Peter,

Contrary to your experience I am delighted with my Minilux and my wife's Minilix-Zoom.

I have only use the Minilux with flash by accident when forgetting to turn it off. My application is with fast film and in that situation it is dynamic. I think it is impossible to create attractive lighting with any flash so close to the lens axis.

With "party pics" we use the Minilux-Zoom with its own dedicated off-camera accessory flash which is enough to not have red-eye and allow better lighting.

As to lens quality, I can project slides from the Minilux with those taken with traditional Leica lenses including Apos, and the diffence in not noticeable.

I assume you are shooting print film, and if so it may be the many other variables in the chain. Try a roll of slide film and if not satisfied return the camera under warranty. The other alternative is to exchange it for a Minilux Zoom.

Let me know how you go.

Regards,

Justin

I must also confess to being disappointed with my Leica Minilux zoom. The results have been not as good as one would expect from such an expensive compact. My wife has a Japanese compact point-and-shoot which cost about a third of the price of the Leica and the results are far better!

I was at one time considering buying the Leica M7, however after my experiences with the Minilux I don't know whether I will bother risking paying such a high premium for a camera if its results are no better, or indeed inferior, to something at half the cost.

I have been reading about people's experiences with the M7 through this forum- anybody recommend a good alternative to the M7? or convince me that the M7 really is worth forking out for.

cheers Rooky

Re:
>>anybody recommend a good alternative to the M7?

Voightlander Bessa-R2. Optics equal to Leica at a fraction of the cost. The bodies are not up to Leica standards but what is? The R2 uses the Leica M mount instead of the Leica screw mount of the R. It is compatible with most standard Leica M Bayonet lenses. More at:

http://www.cameraquest.com/voigtBR2.htm

Look at the Contax G2 rangefinder. (http://www.deltainternational.com/store/Item_CXCG2.htm) There is a 16, 21, 28, 35, 45 and 90mm lens and one zoom lens. The results will be as good as you get with the Leica rangefinders and the 45mm is supposed to be one of the best lenses ever made for this format. I use a Contax G1 myself and have three lenses so far, but have always lusted after Leica, if just for the name.

However, I would say that the Leica M7 is inferior to nothing, it isn't a compact point and shoot, and you should not be afraid to buy it. Certainly the prime glass will be better than the zoom in the Minilux!

Another option is to look at the Bessa R2. It's a lovely rangefinder, and cheaper than Leica by a great amount. You can also use many Leica lenses on it.

Dana Curtis Kincaid Pinnacle Systems Technical Support Indy www.pinnaclesys.com

Thanks John and Dana for your advice on alternatives to the M7. Will certainly look at the Bessa R2 and Contax G2

Dear John,
I guess that you cannot compare leica M7 with Bessa R2, since both are quite different cameras. M7 has got an aperture priority and Bessa R2 has no automatics. M7 has got a high and R2 a low effective base length. M7 is a soft and R2 a loud camera. Minolta CLE and Konica Hexar RF are the only M7 predecessors. I have got M6, Bessa T and CLE, they are different M-mount-cameras, I like them all but I must confess that M6 is my best. If I had the money I would buy M7 immediately since M7 combines the advantages of all.
Regards Jochen, Germany

Back