DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Which lenses do you use mostly and why

Brian, I don't think the reply to my email got through so without repeating everything I will just say that I love the 28-70 for convenience and light weight -- it is a very good lens, however the 35-135 is a great lens. I like the extra angle of view that the 28-70 provides when doing landscapes or crowd scenes and I love the 135 when I photograph more distant objects in the city. Vincent

Hi, I remember to have read here that the 28-70 Zoom lens is not THAT good you expect a Zeiss lens to be - nearly every other Zeiss lens should be better..... Another thought : I've read from many Contaxians that they are using the Tamron 35-135 because it should be very good ! The Leica user often are using the Tamron 35-70 zoom - also should be a very good and really compact lens ! I've made some very good experiences with these lenses as well ! I nevertheless am using Zeiss primes now with my Yashica/Contax cameras. Just a few further thoughts... Paul

> The 35-135 MM zoom is superb. The image quality is great, as good as my best Zeiss primes as far as color, saturation, sharpness and contrast - a little more distortion at 35mm than I would like though and I like the focal range. Keep in mind though that, the lens is quite large. For travel, I like having a wider angle of view so I personally would probably use it in conjunction with a 28mm or 25mm lens. My ideal zoom lens would probably cover 28-135 but Contax doesn't make one. The 28-85, which I have not used is also supposed to be excellent but for me 85mm is a little too short at the long end. I prefer the 135 for candids and for isolating details in a scene. For what it is worth, before buying the 35-135, I spoke to someone in the professional services department at Contax USA asking them, price aside, which of the mid range zooms is the best optically. Although, the 35-70 and 28-85 are both great lenses, I was told that the 35-135 is the best Contax mid range zoom. I do own a 35-70 and find that it is excellent. I like the smaller size and weight and the fixed aperture. However, I would agree that the 35-135 is even a bit better.

Jason

Thanks Jason. I think that I have finally decided on that lens. I use the Aria because I travel constantly but I don't want to carry around a lot of primes. I appreciate everyone's advise that has answered.

Regards,
Brian

Most used: 1.4/85. Second: 2.8/25. Third: 1.4/50.

I don't have any zooms, and don't intend to buy any, because of their low speed, unusable or inexisting depth-of-field scale, and strong distortion.

Regards,
-- Harald

Back