DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Do photographers posting here want honest feedback, or not?

Status
Not open for further replies.
We can just write "I'm open to critique" (followed by a manly man pic). Alternatively, one can say: "Do not critique my work" (followed by a girly man pic)

I very much want feedback... and at least want to be graceful about accepting it, even if I don't always succeed. <sheepish look> I do believe feedback is one of the best ways to learn, even if I don't agree with the standards of the giver.

Wanting feedback includes the obligation to give feedback in return, and I want to give it, but I'm always wary about it.
  • I know I've still got a lot to learn, and don't want to be that guy blathering about stuff like an idiot to people that know more about it than I do.
  • I'm not sure my vision of the pic is what the original shooter wanted. (One time I put a pic up for critique, a Flint Hills schoolhouse with a foreground of flint outcroppings; one critique suggested the foreground was too prominent, when what I was trying to show was how much flint was poking up out of the grass. When I mentioned this and asked for suggestions on how best to do that, no responses.)
  • Riffing on the first point... I hate arrogant SOB's, so the last thing I want to do is unintentionally be one.
  • I want to help people get better, not discourage them to the point where they don't post. :(
The best solution I've come up with is trying to reserve critique for when I actually have an idea for something that might make a pic better - preferably something specific like 'crop in from the right to put that tree at the edge, so it frames the scene.'

Hopefully this all made some kind of sense. ^^;;

Hang on I'll just look at something ............ Ahhh yep.

So if you start a new thread the option for a poll is there just like DPR. So instead of some 8 page post, gees, just start a poll and ask. Let the members decide what they want.

That way, you don't need all this back and forth stuff going on. Job done if you are really interested that is. Personally I'm not ;)

Danny.

Last edited:
We can just write "I'm open to critique" (followed by a manly man pic). Alternatively, one can say: "Do not critique my work" (followed by a girly man pic)
I smell trouble here...what if the 'girly man' is a bloke, but identifies as a lass?

I very much want feedback... and at least want to be graceful about accepting it, even if I don't always succeed. <sheepish look> I do believe feedback is one of the best ways to learn, even if I don't agree with the standards of the giver.

Wanting feedback includes the obligation to give feedback in return, and I want to give it, but I'm always wary about it.
  • I know I've still got a lot to learn, and don't want to be that guy blathering about stuff like an idiot to people that know more about it than I do.
  • I'm not sure my vision of the pic is what the original shooter wanted. (One time I put a pic up for critique, a Flint Hills schoolhouse with a foreground of flint outcroppings; one critique suggested the foreground was too prominent, when what I was trying to show was how much flint was poking up out of the grass. When I mentioned this and asked for suggestions on how best to do that, no responses.)
  • Riffing on the first point... I hate arrogant SOB's, so the last thing I want to do is unintentionally be one.
  • I want to help people get better, not discourage them to the point where they don't post. :(
The best solution I've come up with is trying to reserve critique for when I actually have an idea for something that might make a pic better - preferably something specific like 'crop in from the right to put that tree at the edge, so it frames the scene.'

Hopefully this all made some kind of sense. ^^;;
Perfect sense, and nothing wrong with that at all. I think too many worry that they will get super harsh C&C from troll/flamer types. But hey, water off a ducks back - right!?

I don’t mind if anyone critiques my photos… as long as critics don’t mind that I don’t give a flying frog about their criticism… ;)
I don’t consider myself a capital “P” photographer.
I am more of a naturalist who photographs nature and wildlife because I am there and I like to record wild behaviour and learn from it. My images I hope, reflect interesting aspects of the natural world around us and our interaction with that world. I have no pretensions that my photography has any technical or artistic merit or significance.

Peace out peoples
Well said.

What's the point of seeking someone else's entirely subjective opinion of an entirely subjective endeavor?

The only opinion that matters is that of the person for whom the picture is taken which, in my case, is usually me.

If I prepare a meal for myself, why would I care if you like it or not? Further, if I prepare a meal for a customer, why would I care if anyone but the customer likes it?

You really think so? I can't remember a time when an esthetic critique of one of my photos taught me anything. It's very common for me to like what others don't and for me to hate what others love. In the DPReview Challenge of Challenge winners, there were several I would have deleted in-camera. Such is the nature of purely subjective endeavors. Once in a while someone will notice a small detail in one of my photos that I didn't even see, and find it distracting, and I suppose that's helpful (since I didn't see it). I just have a really hard time learning what I will like from others. I learn it by doing it myself.
Lee, well said.
Most will simply ask for a critique if they feel those ready give their opinions are actually worth taking advice from. Those so generous to give a critique when not asked for, need to accept the fact they may be over stepping their boundaries.
Not every photo is wall worthy but can certainly be post worthy.

For me, the words of Pete_W (post 7) and nzmacro (post 21) best captured where I am.

At age 70, coming from nothing and having worked hard to be successful in a high pressure/high performance-demand profession for decades, I just don't need any uninvited aggravation.

Yikes!! At age 73 and having worked in a low pressure job for 40 yrs , I don't think anything about my 60 yr photog hobby would cause me aggravation. It's all good. Losing a lens cap or forgetting you didn't charge that extra battery might be irritating-don't you think? Someone thinking my picture looks like a turd doesn't bother me- they might be right.

Yikes!! At age 73 and having worked in a low pressure job for 40 yrs , I don't think anything about my 60 yr photog hobby would cause me aggravation. It's all good. Losing a lens cap or forgetting you didn't charge that extra battery might be irritating-don't you think? Someone thinking my picture looks like a turd doesn't bother me- they might be right.
Good attitude, its purely subjective. Professionals should have their own forum for their serious needs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back