DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

A question about Contax Digital

Hi John

Ken is still active and as you probably know, is the founder of the Club. He still uses Contax and Rollei gear.... he is leaning towards Rollei at the moment(!)...still the Zeiss connection. The Club has been going for 14 years, I've been very active in for 11 years, when I started a second slide circle. I started the Club newsletter 6 years ago.

Ken runs two print circles, at present, and is the Club treasurer. I run a slide circle, produce the newsletter, liaise with KYUK and act as general secretary. I'm also producing the Contax and Yashica Family Trees for the Club. Ken is quite happy with this split of the work! (Especially anything to do with the Internet!)

Ken has advertised in AP recently, to attract more members, I'm trying to arrange advertising on the internet. We are both looking into the possibility of a Club website.

All in all, the Club has a happy bunch of followers!

Thanks for asking, Bob.

> For those who don't know, Fuji makes some of the best optics on the > planet. Especially at medium format (6x4.5, 6x7, 6x8, 6x9, and 6x17) > not to mention large format and enlarging lenses.

Well, that depends on what you mean by "best". Personally, I think Fuji makes the WORST medium format lenses. The rendering of the out of focus areas is horrendous. It is choppy and abrupt. Unlike Zeiss and Leica lenses, which are smooth and pleasing. Yes, Fuji lenses have fantastic sharpness and color, but other than that, I don't find them very good. Perhaps for landscape photography, where these characteristics are important, and the characteristics that the Fuji lenses aren't so good at don't matter, they are decent.

Regards,

Austin

Hi if Zeiss thinking of moveing production back to Germany the production facilitys and expertese already exist with pentagon/practica, not as up market as contax but then nor was Yashica. just a passing thought.

John

I hope that someone in Kyocera is reading this discussion. I think most of us will agree that Contax is a very good brand and this brand do not deserve treatment that Kyocera is giving! It will be very easy to do a lot better if they just get their act together! There is a lot of shame for Kyocera that they made such a good brand into this status!
If I were CZ, for the SLR market, I will make lenses with mount for Nikon and Cannon and charge a higher price compare with the original brand! (since it is better!)
Ben

"SOME say the world will end in fire,
Some say in ice.
From what I’ve tasted of desire
I hold with those who favor fire."

Robert Frost

Interesting opinion but better argued on a Fuji Forum (e.g. www.fujirangefinder.com).

I myself will always keep my Fuji rangefinder (I will defer to the tack sharpness of my "decent" Fuji), but will probably dispose of the 'blad possibly in favor of a Contax 645.

Alan,
I went to www.fujirangefinder.com and saw a perfect fabulous picture titled "Palo Alto Dawn". It is incredible that such a picture could be taken with "worst medium format" Lens. Austin - lighten up. Alan - enjoy your Fuji.

Howard

Dirk:

“I doubt that they will do that. Carl Zeiss (not Zeiss Ikon) never produced camera bodies. I think the investments would be to high at the beginning.”

In the sprit of brevity:

The Carl Zeiss Foundation established in 1889 owns Carl Zeiss, Schott and has many other holdings. In 1926 after purchasing several camera firms established Zeiss Ikon. Certainly for financial reasons the same man greatly responsible for Contax was the same man that ended Zeiss Ikon. I do not believe that they have any interest in producing cameras.

As I read your statement: then, General Motors owns Cadillac, so GM never produced Cadillacs.

Also,I suspect that the reason not to produce lenses for the H1, is because of a conflict in interest with the Contax 645. And, not producing lenses for the XPAN is because of low volume.

This thread has gone from wishful comments to some pretty serious strategies and comments.

I would sure hate to start a rumor on this website.

Greetings

Gilbert

Alan

Howard is right.

I own a Hasselblad, and I would be proud to hang your "Palo Alto Dawn" photograph on my wall.

Greetings

Gilbert

Same with me : I sent a question via e-mail and never got an answer ! It's been a really simple question (price for a special repair).... The only thing they do is sending (old !) broshures of their cameras. I really like the Yashica Cameras (FR- + FX-types) too but this customer-service is really bad. Paul

Probably - if Kyocera doesn't do enough- they could produce simple mechanical SLR. DSLR is another thing. There they had to invest a lot more. But : There are enough Zeiss-fans with C/Y-mounted lenses who certainly would buy a SLR from Zeiss with that mount. I think that this would be true for N-mounted lenses too : What about a small 2nd body - simple mechanical one ? I would buy such a thing ! And it must not compete with a Leica R6 in quality and price ! It must only do it (like the Yashica FX3 which I use). Paul

Back