DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Contax G vs Leica M lenses

D

douglas

This thread was splitted and moved from another one, because it went off topic:
-------------------------------------

Instead of a "G3" just get a Leicaflex. Better viewfinder, even tougher construction, 50mm Summicron and 90mm 2.8 as good or better than G2's 45/90.

Not to toss a bucket of water on the DOF readout idea, but the G lenses don't communicate f:stop setting to the bodies. Much energy has been expended in guessing whether the capability is there, but not collected by the G1 or G2. If you count the connecting pins on the bodies and the contacts on the lenses, you'll see that there are extra contacts.

What are they there for, aperture information? Who knows?

The G2 data back calculates f:stop by comparing the meter reading with what the external Hologon meter is reading. It's not hard to imagine situations where this would be WAY off.

--Rick

The Kyocerea reps told me as well notto hold my breath for a G3. Matter of fact, one told me notto wait at al for it. Digital is more important to Kyocera these days.

There is no reason why Contax should bring another RF on the market. But it would be good if there is a better Worldwide Customer Service including hotline and Contax magazine about news and ideas for Contax user.

Contax should do something to keep theyre Stil-Film Cameras alive and prevent Contax Owner to trow awy there equipmet because of not reciving any Lenses or suport from fotoequipment Dealers.

Leica can do it, so why schouldnt Contax do it ?

Hi all,

It seems that local Kyocera reps are perhaps not chosen well by the parent company here in Tokyo. I've owned both a G1 and G2, presently just the G2, and have been to their service centre in Tokyo on a few occasions for cleanings and checks, which were prompt and courteous. As well, the units sold here in Japan come only with Japanese-language manuals, including the flash units. On three separate occasions I went to the service centre and they ordered two of the manuals in English for me for a nominal charge, and also happened to have an extra manual in the office, English, for the TLA 280, which they gave me free of charge.

I've had nothing but excellent service from Kyocera. I wonder if the local reps that everyone is complaining about are merely jobbers who bid on a local service contract? This could be the case, and if so, is a great pity, since the parent company in Japan gives first-rate service.

I have no complaints at all, so far (knock on wood), about Kyocera's customer service. And as far as supporting film-based cameras, they can only do a limited amount at this point in time without seriously hurting their bottom line. Just look at the mess that Kodak is in because of their late decision to focus on digital. Kyocera is only reading the writing on the wall. They are a small company, in case you didn't know, and in fact are having financial difficulties (like many smaller, uncompetitive Japanese companies, they are spread very thin over a number of different unrelated industries), so it's safe to say that if we would like them to be around AT ALL in the future, more power to them for putting resources into digital while at the same time offering decent customer service for their traditional film cameras. But expecting them to put development money into new lenses for the G2, or any of their other film-based SLRs, is ridiculous, IMHO.

That being said, enjoy your Gs (I surely do mine) and take advantage of the very reasonable used market that has opened up. Digital is here to stay, but we can still enjoy film, just don't expect companies to dump money into it - we are truly becoming a very small, specialized market that can be no great source of revenue for any company that wants to remain in business.

Sorry for this overly lengthy posting!

Mark Edwards

Scott, you just don't get it. It's a failsafe. MF is included for those times when the auto focus is fooled and allows one to avoid such problems when one is aware of such instances. Shooting to capture the reflection in a glass window or on water is nearly impossible with the AF, so one simply flips a switch and turns a dial to achieve the desired focusing distance. Photography can sometimes be more of an issue of overcoming obstacles in one's way of taking great pictures. The process is part of the art. I would never want a camera (particularly a Contax) to do everything for me all of the time, even if it could. That's half the fun. Awareness and mindfulness are parts of the photographic experience. If you're not thinking during the process then you're not a photographer. Lytton

First of all Doug, A Leica "flex" refers to the fact that the camera has a reflex prism meaning that it is not a rangefinder. That said, you are c omparing apples to oranges. If you were referring to the "M" series of Leica cameras that accept the Leica M mount manual focus lenses, then you are comparing apples to oranges yet again. I'm sick and tired of this 'My camera is better than your camera' BS from Leicafile snobs such as yourself. This is a CONTAX forum. Bugger off!!! Does your Leica shoot 4 frames per second? Does your Leica have TTL metering? Can your Leica flash sync at 1/200th of a second, or at all? Can it shoot at a top shutter speed of 1/6000th of a second? Oh yeah, can your Leica auto focus? Slight difference I should think. A Leica is a commodity; A Contax is a camera. -Lytton

Doug, have had a lot of Leicas, my best was the Leicaflex SL2, and of course the bulkiest and heaviest. Some day I am going to buy one again, just for fun. The G2 is the ideal RF camera to carry around with you in all situations. Instead of wishing for a G3, lets be happy with the G2 we are used to, and wish for lenses like a 35mm 1.4 or a 45mm 1.4. At least that should be possible. Regards to a great forum from Vienna Peter

>=20 >=20 >=20 > While I may agree with the basic sentiment voiced by Lytton, I don=B9t thin= k > that any forum participant should resort to foul language because someone > mentions the =B3L=B2 word. Those of us who use G2s know that we are using a > product that is superior to any rival in the field, =B3L=B2 or otherwise. Sur= e, it > has some shortcomings, but used properly it is a superb instrument. Have = a > look at some of the photos on =B3The Contax G Pages=B2 web site: www.contaxg.= com > to see how good the G cameras are. Don=B9t waste time and good will slaggin= g off > other forum members and other brands. >=20 >=20 >=20

Lytton

> I'm sick > and tired of this 'My camera is better than your camera' BS from > Leicafile snobs such as yourself.

I didn't see anyone say "my camera is better than yours"...bla bla bla... Seems you're sensitive to the topic of discussion

> This is a CONTAX forum.

And...discussing features of other cameras as well as comparing cameras is part and parcel of any camera forum.

Both cameras have their virtues. What is important to one person may or may not be important to another.

But...to answer your questions ;-)

> Does your Leica shoot 4 frames per second?

no, but 3 is fine, and with no batteries (RapidWinder)

> Does your Leica have > TTL metering?

Yes...

> Can your Leica flash sync at 1/200th of a second, or at > all?

I don't believe it's 1/200, but it does flash sync.

> Can it shoot at a top shutter speed of 1/6000th of a second?

No. When do you need 1/6000th of a second?

> Oh > yeah, can your Leica auto focus?

No, but at least I can tell when it's IN focus (sorry, I couldn't resist ;-)

> Slight difference I should think.

Yes, they ARE different. There are quite a few exceptional 1.4 lenses available for the Leica M, as well as the Noctilux 1.0...I believe there are simply more lenses available for the Leica than the Contax G. The Leica M 6 also works without batteries...and is certainly a far more rugged camera. It's all a matter of what's important to you, and what your situation is.

> A > Leica is a commodity; A Contax is a camera. -Lytton

Well, Leicas seem to hold their value quite well. I'd guess the Leica M will be working far in the future, where the Contax G probably won't be, since it is highly electronic, and uses LCDs. Both are exceptional cameras, but they are different. To claim a Leica is a commodity is simply silly.

Austin

Back