DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Contax G vs Leica M lenses

Actually, it is more than fair to compare apples to oranges. (Leica SLR to G2s or any other combination) After all, on this thread most are comparing an existing G2 to a MAKE BELIEVE "G3." Talk about apples to oranges! Fact is that the G2 and the Leicaflex are wonderful little machines and both occupy a place in the "greatest cameras of all time" roster. So, compare away. Every artist knows that all thought is fair and relevant in the contemplation of the final outcome. That some here might have a case of Leicis envy, should be irrelevant.

While I may agree with the basic sentiment voiced by Lytton, I don’t think that any forum participant should resort to foul language because someone mentions the “L” word. Those of us who use G2s know that we are using a product that is superior to any rival in the field, “L” or otherwise. Sure, it has some shortcomings, but used properly it is a superb instrument. Have a look at some of the photos on “The Contax G Pages” web site: www.contaxg.com to see how good the G cameras are. Don’t waste time and good will slagging off other forum members and other brands.

Philip,

> Those of us who use G2s know > that we are using a product that is superior to any rival in the > field, L or otherwise.

The G2 may be "seperior" to other cameras for you and your purpuses, or for particular purposes, but to simply claim it is "superior to any rival" for everyone and all purposes is simply not realistic. It IS an exceptional camera, there is no doubt...but there are situations where it is simply not superior. That's true for ANY camera.

Regards,

Austin

>I didn't receive the message you're replying to here, but I feel moved to respond to some of the pronouncements in your post. Manual focus on the cameras is not merely a backup for autofocus, but has other useful applications. It enables you to place a point of focus in circumstances where the centrally placed AF sensor would be apt to set focus contrary to your intentions. Imagine a group of dancers moving about on an outdoor stage. Relying on AF, if you release the shutter when the figures in the scene are arranged just as you like in the frame, the sensor may be in a place where there is no figure, or subject, setting focus on some plane beyond: nice, sharp distant trees, blurry dancers. The focus-and-recompose technique is apt to be ineffectual here, as you want to press the shutter when the constantly-changing scene offers the compostion you want - the so-called decisive moment. This is but one case where the AF is indeed able to fix focus, but not necessarily in the zone where you want it. There are many other instances where using AF to establish a distance that can be read from the LCD panel and subsequently set on the MF dial will save you much grief and ruined pictures. Manually presetting exposure for stable prevailing conditions (and leaving it set there) from a single camera position is another technique that prevents the camera making "wrong" decisions for you. I find an incident meter or grey card useful for this. So I'd say I agree with you about not wanting a camera to make all the decisions for you, but an intuitive understanding of how the device works, and a methodology thought out beforehand is often a better way of working than thinking and calculating all the way through the process. Often, life won't wait for it, and depending on what type of photography you're doing, the deliberate, Ansel Adams way of working can be a real creativity-killer. I've noticed that when an athlete gives a stunning performance for the ages, someone will say, "oh my God, he was just unconscious!" I often wonder if photographers like Cartier-Bresson didn't work that way - so dialed-into the process, that he was able to keep thinking out of it and let intuition take over. Just my thoughts. Chas.

> Don't forget "style" and personal preference. Some people are just not happy unless the thing in their hands is THE most expensive available. I have both an M6 and a G2. Somewhat afraid to use the M6 as I know the first scratch will cost me about $300 off its value. On the other hand, the pure simplicity when shooting outdoors in sunlight makes it a compelling tool. The G2, on the other hand, is more versatile and does autofocus, making it preferable for low light flash shooting, low light available light shooting etc. My G2 and 21mm lens cost less than just a 21 mm lens for my Leica and because of that, no matter which may become my prime user, I will always keep the G2 around, especially now since big rebates have killed its value in the used market.

Dale,

> The G2, on the other hand, is more > versatile and does autofocus, making it preferable for low light flash > shooting, low light available light shooting etc.

Can you elaborate on your comment about low light available light shooting being "more versatile" with the G2. The M6 has far faster lenses available (two stops in fact) for low light shooting, which allow you to use higher shutter speeds and therefore get sharper pictures...and the rangefinder focusing is quite good for low light shooting as well. Are you saying this because you believe the AF of the G2 gets you in better focus than the rangefinder focusing of the M6?

Regards,

Austin

> Austin: By all means I mean autofocus. Also, you are right that Leica has many more available wide f-stop lenses but they are out of reach financially for all but the most dedicated, financially affluent photographers. Today's fast films (e.g. 800 in particular) that using one of them with F2.8 will give you far better results than you would have gotten just a few years ago with 400 speed film and a wider aperture. But, of course, there is a place in the world for both systems. But, having both, and already having a 21mm lens for the G2, it would be foolish of me to sell the G2 and lens for $1000 in order to buy a 21mm Leitz lens for $2000. All I have for my Leica is a 50mm (new lens) and a forty year old F2.0 35mm with eyes old lens. I am going on a trip to the desert tomorrow and will take both with me as well as a Hasselblad. I will shoot some pictures with both cameras just to compare (using 45mm lens on G2 and 50mm lens on M6). I doubt if I will see any difference. Will take a favorite shot into some shadows at Mission San Juan Capistrano using both. Regards, DH

Comparing Contax Gs to Leica rangefinders,=20 what would it take to have someone market a lens holder that fastens to a G2 baseplate like the one available for the M series? =

> First it would take a license from the company whose mount is being copied. Second, it would take enough potential volume so that the cost of such a device would not be astronomical. I doubt that Leica and Contax owners put together could provide enough potential sales to justify such a device.

>it would be foolish of me to sell the G2 and lens for $1000 in order to buy a 21mm Leitz lens for $2000

Hi Dale- I certainly agree with your reasoning. I've owned Leicas for years, but also had a G2, which I sold in a fit of insanity (wanted to get back to basics yada yada). Thought I'd take the money and buy a Tr-Elmar for the m6. After thinking awhile, (and missing the heck out of my G2) I realized I could have a whole G2 system for the price of the Tri-Elmar. I ended up buying a black G2 with 28/45/90 AND 35-70 zoom, all used, for little more than the price of the Tri_elmar. And the G2 is ALWAYS the first camera out of the bag.

As an aside, I dont see much discussion here about the 35-70. That lens is fanatastic, and its certainly something Leitz cant do w/ the M. Anybody disagree?

Back