DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

G21mm Biogon vs CY 21mm Distagon %a1V Which one better

Hi Scott,

I think you're overestimating the ability of even the premium manufacturers to produce lenses that perform well at wide apertures, especially wide angle lenses, and especially at the edge of the field. The difference between 0.8 (80% contrast) and 0.6 that we have in the corner performance of the two lenses is clearly observable even in a small print. I find that much of the time with an ultra-wide lens, I have the subject off-centre and near the camera, because this uses the exaggerated perspective to best effect. For that reason, edge performance is a key concern, and although the Distagon gives something away in the far corners, the sides of the frame are still within its sweet spot. This is definitely relevant information when it comes to lens purchasing and usage.

You ask "Is there really that much difference between any of the top rated lenses?" to which I can reply "yes there is". I've been slowly going through my lenses taking simple real-world comparison shots to get a feel for the optimum results I can expect of each of them, and I'm surprised how much variation there is among different top-quality lenses at full or wide apertures. The fact that a lens says "Planar", "Distagon", "L", "Summicron" (or whatever) on the barrel doesn't guarantee anything, so it's important to match your own requirements to the characteristics of a lens before splashing out all that cash.

One thing that has consistently amazed me in my assessment of the comparison shots is the very low magnifications at which differences are clearly visible. As an extreme ex&le, I can reliably distinguish shots from my 85/1.4 at 1.4 vs 2.8 on the file browser thumbnails in PS, never mind any kind of print! More relevantly, there is an observable difference in crispness between my Planar 50/1.4 @ f/2 and a Summicron 50/2 at 12.5% magnification on the screen. So yes, these are very practical considerations for shooters like me who are into available-light work.

Best regards,

-= mike =-

I suspected Zeiss has made an enormous effort to make sure 21 Distagon as successful as it is,and indeed it amazes me all the time. To correct one previous sentence,the minimal focal distance for this lens is actually 0.22m.
There are two sites which I trust to tell the differences between the lens.www.photodo.com and www.geocities.com/ilprode. 21 Distagon scores very high in ilprode site and is above 50 1.7 planar and 85 1.4 planar. Photodo does not give a score for 21 Distagon but with the help from ilprode site the score should be above 4.6 which is the score for 50 and 85. I suspect it scores either 4.7 or 4.8. 21 Biogon scores 4.3 in photodo.
Although one person suggested the 21 Biogon is better based on Zeiss MTF data,when I looked at these curves the difference is not that great.
Zeiss MTF curves is sometimes not useful. For ex&le,judging from these curves,100 Makro Planar should be better than 100 2 Planar. From my own experience of using these lens, 100 2 is definitely better than 100 MP. In fact, 100 2 at f=2 is better than 100 MP at f=2.8. In this case,ilprode is more able to provide useful informations than Zeiss curve.
In conclusion,I believe 21 D is significantly better than 21 B.
Is there anyone who have direct experience in using both lens?
Based on my conclusion,I don't bother to purchase the 21 Biogon when I have 21 Distagon,despite the fact that I have a G2.

Back