DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Contax NX vs Contax Aria G2

Hi Neil,

Just one word of warning - when you go to the store, take your credit card with you, because you will be really tempted once you hold that Aria :)

Good luck.

Rgds, Saras

PS I love the colours you have managed to capture in the pictures on your photoblog!!

Hi Neil,

> I would do the same with the Aria.. I think it has adjustable > diopter as well.

The Aria does not, though you could, depending on your prescription, get a diopter for it.

Regards,

Austin

Hi Saras,

> I use the NX because I tend to use the fill-in flash a lot

Does the fill flash on the NX work differently than it would on the Aria? I use fill flash on the Aria quite a bit...

Regards,

Austin

Hi Austin,

I guess the Aria would work roughly the same, only I usually don't use an "external" flash with the Aria - for me it is a matter of the physical balance of the camera with the flash; when I'm covering parties, or taking candids of friends, the NX is great for providing a little bit of light when I want it.

When I do use an Aria, I use a small Metz 20BC6 - which is not dedicated - I've found my bigger Metz guns a bit awkward to handle with the Aria.

I would have to say though, and you've probably experienced this, you get excellent results with an external dedicated flash with proper TTL functionality.

Just personal preference I guess - although, working with flash is something I'm looking to master over the next few months!!

Cheers, Saras

I just picked up a 139Q. It's a sweet little camera. As to the repairability of these cameras I think it depends on what type of repair is needed. On the Kyocera website the 139 is listed with this disclaimer: "Limited parts supply may affect our ability to repair these units." The 167MT is the oldest SLR they list that does not have this warning.

The eye relief on the 139Q is pretty good. I do wear flexible glasses that allow me to get my eye close in to the eyepiece. The eye relief on the Aria and 167 is a little better but not by leaps and bounds.

For me the Aria and the NX are both ergonomic, light, and fun to use, bright viewfinders, etc., especially as travel cameras. The Aria with a C/Y 18, 25, 28, 35, or 45mm lens is a great light combination. If you like prime lenses get the Aria-at least for wide angles. Otherwise you'd have to put 645 lenses on the NX to get wide angle primes. For me the NX has a little better ergonomics and control placement. I like the front and rear control wheels, and although you have to go through a menu, its really easy to use. Others on this forum have missed having the Aria's "analog" controls. The Aria has the option of a true data back while the NX only has a "date" back. Aria would be better for manual focusing. This is a tough choice. Do you need AF? I don't. But I also have faith that Contax will (eventually) produce more DSLRs, and I assume that they will be based on the "N" mount. So I also bought into the N mount. However, you cant get wide angle primes, fast 35 mm focal length lenses, perspective control lenses, etc. in the N mount currently, but these are available in C/Y mount.

Back