DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Contax AX

I do not have problem, nethier. If you are worrying about the quality, change back to MF mode. If functions as same as normal MF camera.

Francis.

When I use my AX in the autofcus mode I'm alway somewhat irrtiatet by the split image, which tells me the object is out of focus,. whilst the electronic tells me with the yellow dot in the dispay that it is in focus. Is that normal??? Probably a stupid question... BUt I can't understand the difference.
Tom

Tom,

I was very irritated too. Considered buying a used AX last week at Foto Ganz in Zurich. with the Zeiss 4.0/80-200 at f=200m. I was positively surprise that autofokus was not soo slow as by "hearsay". (compared to my OES 620 with USM lenses) But the AX body is really a monster, for that size I can get a Fuji GA645 6x4.5 medium format rangefinder. Rainer

Posted by Tom Hopfgarten on Thursday, October 10, 2002 - 6:02 pm:

When I use my AX in the autofcus mode I'm alway somewhat irrtiatet by the split image, which tells me the object is out of focus,. whilst the electronic tells me with the yellow dot in the dispay that it is in focus. Is that normal??? Probably a stupid question... BUt I can't understand the difference. Tom

Hi Tom,

The split image was introduced more than 20 years ago. The main advantage is only for quick focusing with eyes. In fact, there are some drawbacks. It won't work at dark area, long focal lense neither. I won't tell the exact focus point. If your eyesight is still good, change the screen to matt or checkered matt screen. You will find accurate focusing.

So please trust your AX focusing system.

Francis.

Any AX user please tell me the use CF beside ISO at the left top and the figures shown on the dispaly window.
Thanks
SL

Hi folks,

I am considering an AX. I have an Aria, but the other day, even with my 50/1.4, I found it a struggle to see in very dim light at a wedding. I am thinking about being the prime photographer more often at weddings and would LIKe to use my Contax gear for this application. Personally, I think a new investment in N gear is too prohibitive - and I can get good quality used MM lenses. I already have a TLR for medium format "staged" shots, so the question of sharing lenses with a 645 doesn't come up at the moment. So here are the questions:

1) Has anyone used the AX in truly continuous low light situations such as weddings ?

2) What is the experience with the zooms? i.e. 28-85 ? I have heard challenges with the position of the back focus. There isn't a lot of time to adjust at weddings/events !

3) I won't insult my Contax brethren with the question of durability, but I WILL ask the question about consistency. I have had some strange "focal plane flash" effects...especially when I take the TLA360 off the hotshoe and use the TLA extension cord ( thinking about a Metz flash...)

I think the AX could extend to my studio photography as well, particularly with the in-viewfinder exposure compensation indicators.

All said, if the RTSIII viewfinder is better in low light ( praying for the RXII... ) then it might be a better buy...Or I can save up for a new Hassy 645 ( can't imagine the price ! )

Ok, nuff said. Please help !!
happy.gif

Alan
Indianapolis

Hi Alan,

AX is a good camera indeed. But it is not as quick as other AF camera like Canno and Nikon. The working light situation of AF is EV5. The IR pilot light will be automatically turned on. The working distance is 5M. Instruction manual said that AX AF function was better working with f5.6 lens.

I bought AX because it had a strong feel of camera. It equips with all basic features, providing 10mm bonus "extension tube" If you can stand for the big size and weight.

Regards,
Francis Chow.

Hi Allan, did you think about a used RTS2 ? There is a special bright focussing screen available for the RTS2.

Hi Alan,
I have been using Contax AX for about 3 years,with 28-85mm Zoom.Definately excellent quality equipment.Both body and lens are of the finest craftsmanship and hard wearing.The 24-85mm on my N1 does not even begin to compare in terms of sharpness. I regularly enlarge 20x24inch photos for clients without any problems at all. At one point I was commisioned to shoot an orchestra on stage with available light(1sec.F22)
The client ordered a 24X40Inch print without any problems. I also use my Hasselblad FE lenses with my Ax body with a special adaptor from Robert White in UK. All lenses work brilliantly with the AX. I highly recommend the camera,especially for the feel.No nonsense die -cast and no plastic.

Thomas Portelli

Back