DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Problems with used Contax RTSIII

Hi David,

>"factory refurbished" RTSiii Firstly, as you hold the camera and rotate it are you supposed to hear something loose inside? SOunds like the film pressure plate moves around.

Take the back off and see if it still makes the noise. Not acceptable.

Also, it takes anywhere from 2 to 25 stabs at the release to turn on the viewfinder > display with the main switch on (same if you use the vertical release > or the exposure check). Again, something is really wrong. This doesn't even sound usable.

I have to decide whether to send it back for replacement, or have it repaired under warranty. This sounds like the best option. I bought a used 167MT in 1993, found out that the meter was not calibrated correctly. The dealer I bought it from stood behind the camera, sent it to Contax in NJ, who repaired it completely.

I hope that "factory refurbished" means the importer/Kyocera will stand behind it and repair or replace it. Best wishes on getting an operational RTS III.

My RTS 3 was returned to Kyocera UK for the same electronic reason. I noticed that I had to press the buttons more than once to get the thing to powerup. I was informed after a few weeks that the main circuit had gone. I could but a new ( not RTS 3 ) body for the cost of the repair.....it still sits there waiting for me to cough up the cash...Send it back, there is a MAJOR fault with your camera.

> I hope that "factory refurbished" means the importer/Kyocera will > stand behind it and repair or replace it. Best wishes on getting an > operational RTS III.

Well, that is if it really is a FACTORY (as in Kyocera/Contax) refurbished unit...which I would doubt. Do you think Kyocera/Contax would refurbish a unit such that it had an internal rattle and had a fried main circuit board? I doubt it... That's just speculation, but something sounds fishy.

Austin

>>Help! I have just received a used "factory refurbished" RTSiii from a well known US distributor. Besides it looking a little rougher than my interpretation of 9+ (not a big deal)I have a few problems. Firstly, as you hold the camera and rotate it are you supposed to hear something loose inside? SOunds like the film pressure plate moves around. Hardly the "rock" like feel I was counting on!<<

My RX has a small spool next to the pressure plate that has a little play up & down on its shaft. It makes a click if I shake the camera with no film loaded. It may be that "problem" on your RTS. That alone should not be a major issue.

Obviously, the other problems are unacceptable. As the others have said, that camera has to be returned for repair or replacement.

There are a great many Contax "refurbs" being advertised from many sources. Actual conditions of these cameras vary from Like New to heavily worn. Perhaps you'll receive a replacement in better condition if you insist.

Good Luck,
Dave

Thanks to everyone for the replies and suggestions. I am following up with the retailer today and promise to report back on how they handle the situation. I would like to give them a chance to make amends rather than name them specifically at this point - just seems the right thing to do.

Hi Folks,

Following on from one point of this thread; I was looking for a used RTSiii and came across a British dealer who had three available according to their web site. Two were described as being Ex. Demo (no visible signs of use/ no packing / manual included) and the other was midway in their scale (visible signs of use / fully working / no packing or manual). There was only £50 ($80) difference in the prices.

I ordered one of the ex - demo models and received a well used camera with no manual and a jammed lens. The lens had not been mentioned in the description. I sent it back and asked for the other ex - demo camera. This too had a free lens, but no manual and was in immaculate condition. The company refused my offer of the return of their Planar f1.7!

Just shows the latitude of descriptions.

Clive

An update on where this thread started...B&H agreed to accept return of my faulty RTS111 with no argument, though it took numerous attempts to contact them through their Customer service department (the 1-800 was constantly busy)So I have the total shipping expense of around $100 USD, plus the long distance cost, plus the tax bill (recoverable but more hassle)from Canada Customs, and no camera. Goes to show you there are no bargains in life - I thought I was getting a 9+ RTSIII for half what it would cost me used locally. Further to Clive's post - I dropped into a local Toronto store (Henrys) to check out an S2 posted on their used website. They rated it an 8+. It took very careful inspection to find any indications that the camera had ever been out of its box, whereas B&H rated the RTSiii as a 9+ when it had a very evident overall worn patina, numerous small dings and nicks and significant portions of the base plate with finish entirely rubbed off - not to mention the fact that it was broken both mechanically and electronically. Oh yeah, it was also missing the eyecup. I did though have a neat little sticker on it saying that it had been refurbished to factory standards. Net - I would never buy another camera at a distance without a detailed written description of condition from a credible representative of the retailer. Cheers.=20

Dear Dave,

There are some guys in Taiwan experienced the same problem with their demo AXs from B&H. B&H's reply was that they recieved the cameras directly from Contax and they did not do any inspections, while some ugly ones pops out. In my experience B&H's customer service line is ALWAYS busy.

I bought 4 demo AX's from B&H, one for my brother and three for my other friends in Taiwan. 3 of them are fine, and one of them the mirror position wasn't right, and I had to send back to Kyocera, NJ. Something interesting is that the latter cameras I ordered, the smaller number of the serial numbers are. It seems that they sell the ones with newest serial numbers first.

Shu-Hsien

Whilst we are on the topic of "buying unseen", though I have not had negative experiences from B&H, I have received nothing but superb, first class service and 'NY prices' from Camera World in Oregon,USA. They really are a pleasure to deal with. I have absolutely no connection with this company, but use both their website and instore facilities when in Portland. I can highly recommend them.
Colin

>The company refused my offer of the return of their Planar f1.7!

Clive, Don't throw this lens! It's a very nice lens, light and sharp. Very useful when carry the RTS3 by travel.

Back