DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

RAW NEF Format

Unfortunately i cannot post a nef here. The maximum size allowed here is 130k and my nef is around 12.5 megs.
With the NikonView I can see my nefs but i cannot edit them or convert them to anything else. Anyhow, my final goal would be to get them in Photoshop and the tiff takes ages to write on my flash card.
Anyhow, thanks for your replys

Rafael

> Unfortunately i cannot post a nef here. The maximum size allowed here > is 130k and my nef is around 12.5 megs. > With the NikonView I can see my nefs but i cannot edit them or convert > them to anything else. Anyhow, my final goal would be to get them in > Photoshop and the tiff takes ages to write on my flash card. > Anyhow, thanks for your replys > > Rafael

Rafael,

In order to edit the Nef files via Nikon View 1) click on an image, to select it 2) on the toolbar, click the down arrow next to the Edit icon (looks like a paper with a pencil on top of it) 3) this should give you a dropdown list of editors on your system, one of them being Nikon Editor, click on Nikon Editor 4) make what limited changes the editor offers, if you wish, then click File -> Save As and choose your file type.

Also, you should copy the images from your card to your hard drive *before* attempting to edit them. You shouldn't be in the habit of editing/saving on your flash cards ... to many bad things could happen!

What version of Photoshop are you using in attempting to open the images?

Do you have any personal web server space, like that ususally offered by your internet service provider? If yes, possibly you can upload a s&le NEF image there and simply provide us with a link to that image?

grasshopper

Hi again everybody,

Thanks to all which tried to help me (specially to you, grasshopper) but finally i solved the big mystery: the plugin directory of adobe when you have more adobe products installed is quite tricky. The photoshop plugin is a sepparate one so I was loading the correct plugin in the wrong directory
happy.gif
)
Now it is ok, I can get my nefs in the photoshop, their last raw plugin really works.
However, the Nikon View still cannot edit the nefs, i can load them but it will not display them in the primitive editor they have..
But finally, I do not really care about the Nikon tools, I am really happy that I can finally get my raw shoots in photoshop.
So, be careful what plugins directory you are using when you have more adobe products installed

Thanks all again

>I am really happy that I can finally get my raw shoots in photoshop.<

Rafael, I am pleased you got it all sorted out! Have fun with your images! :eek:)

grasshopper

Hey gang,

I am new to the Nikon Digital world an am not very familiar with the RAW format. What are the advantages of using the NEF format and what can you do with them in Photoshop that would be of concern to me? Thanks in advance to ANY and ALL input.

Matt

> Posted by Matt Maynard (Mattmaynard)
> What are the advantages of using the NEF format and what
> can you do with them in Photoshop that would be of concern to me?

RAW is simply the digital output of your sensor, unprocessed by the camera, saved directly to your card. It is a format that has 12-bits of information for each channel (Red, Green and Blue) compared to 8-bits for TIFF or JPEG. It allows you to adjust things like exposure and colour balance when importing it into Photoshop. It has the potential to produce the highest quality your camera can give you under difficult circumstances.

To get the most out of it, you really need Photoshop CS, which lets you load it at the full 12-bits per channel into spacious 16-bit per channel workspace and perform all image processing steps without ever having to reduce it to 8-bits per channel. It also takes some skill and experience in image processing to get the most out of it.

It is particularly useful in mixed light situations, since the file can be reopened with each area of the image receiving its own colour balance, with these being combined through layering and layer masks. It can also use a similar method to gain extended dynamic range, as one would do with a set of auto-bracket exposures. I have a tutorial with numerous ex&les at
http://www.larry-bolch.com/layers.htm

What is the cost? Speed and storage. In-camera rocessing is much quicker for Fine JPEG and the resulting file is much smaller. If one is skilled with the camera using proper exposure and white balance, there may be no visible difference between a print from a Fine and a RAW image under normal photographic circumstances. There is also the cost of Photoshop CS.

Is it worthwhile? Absolutely when shooting in mixed light, on the street at night with an uncertain white balance, under extremely contrasty conditions and so on. It works fine under good lighting, but offers no visible advantage.

I use it quite often, because I really like to shoot places others might find difficult or impossible. I also use it when I am lazy - someone wants a shot of a camera or accessory, and I don't feel like setting up under carefully controlled light for a quick and dirty over the 'net. When shooting under less extreme conditions, I shoot Fine JPEG.

It has become a bit of a cult-thing on the net in some forums. While it is a very useful file format, it is not the Messiah. You may get advice to NEVER, EVER shot anything but RAW. Fine, if you don't mind a slow unresponisive camera and a card that fills quickly for no good reason. However, in difficult circumstances - if you have the image processing skills - it is quite useful.

larry!
http://www.larry-bolch.com/
ICQ 76620504

> Thanks Larry. Great info as always. Quick question: I have been using PS Elements 2.0 and Jpegs Fine whilst waiting for the version which will support RAW for the D70 - do you know if that's available yet? thanks in advance,

Ali (photographer who gets paid for her work but still has much to learn)!
happy.gif

Checking the Adobe site, it appears that version 3 of Elements is now available and it does have 16-bit per channel support, and will handle .nef RAW files. I have no idea how extensive the support may be. It appears to be not only worthwhile, but manditory upgrade for Elements users.

larry!

http://www.larry-bolch.com/

ICQ 76620504

Back