DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Something is going on with Zeiss

Why would Zeiss produce a film version of the G system? Is Zeiss taking over the Contax brand under their own name? I doubt it.

One more thing that has crossed my mind....

The Zeiss Ikons / Ikontas were all roll-film cameras. The first camera I ever used was a 16-on Zeiss Ikonta (I still have one). When Zeiss produced 35mm they were Contax / Contarex ...

Apparently it will not be a Contax but is to be a reintroduction of the Zeiss Icon name in co-operation with Cosina who make the Voigtlander cameras. Zeiss can presumably produce their lenses in any mount they like subject to legality/copyright etc.

Why not do what real (profit making) camera companies do, support existing lines!! instead of introducing new fad camera's for collector's Christ are these guys that dumb?

Yes, I wouldn't want to ditch my collection of expensive lenses and cameras; course there is no need to if one is happy as is. There is no compulsion to buy new lines. That said I would love digital support for C/Y lenses and maybe my G.

Hey, can I call it or can I call it
biggrin.gif
. Well, if it's a digital RF I'm going to have to buy all new lenses anyway. I'm still hoping there will be an ND 2 there. Less than two weeks for the suspense to be over ... meantime I'll be posting some pre-fall ND images from beautiful downmarsh Long Island.

DJ

We have a new rangefinder system here now. The present G-system is good but it has its problems. The focusing system of the G depends on vertical lines and it does not work on repeated patterns.It also does not work with shiny objects. In recent years there is a resurgence of the traditional camera systems. The Bessa system is related to Leica with the mount. Zeiss new system uses film and of course it has to be film. Despite the digital system is very much welcomed by many mainly because of its convienance,its backgound noise,colour management,dynamic range are not as favourable as the film system. It is quite predictable that the new system will be similar to Leica in focusing and I believe it will also be using the M mount. There is no need for Zeiss to be system specific.If the new system is related to a preexisting system,it will speed up the acceptance of it to potential buyers.

I just uploaded eight digital, boring wildlife images. Too bad the new Zeiss system is film only. No more film for me ... anybody want a Jobo ATL-3? It's going cheap!

DJ

Back