DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Best Lens for Contax G2 snapshots & family photos

> http://www.perret-optic.ch/optometrie/vue_enfants/ > opto_vue_enfant_gb.htm I gleaned that statistic from the above optometry site. Could be wrong. I can, however, see both my hands when they are aligned behind my ears and spaced about one foot out from the sides of my head. This is more than 180 and quite a silly act to perform in response to an email.

Either way, the point is that angle of view is not the determining factor, the size ratio is, one of many things in the universe I was unaware of.

If 50 is optimal, I wonder why Zeiss (or Kyocera) chose 45 for the G. Anyone know?

Your right Max, human peripheral vision is 220 plus degrees, but everyone is different. I know mine is 220 from eye exams during flight physicals.

But, you really don't 'see' 220 degrees. Like Vivian says, you 'see out of the corner of your eye.' When you become aware of something you will turn your head and 'zoom' in on the subject.

The information you found from Zeiss on size ratio is probably just as valid as the angle of view, which is measured on the plane of the diagonal measurement of the negative.

I think we are getting away from the main subject of this thread. The correct lens for snbapshots and family photos is the lens that works for you. Since most point nad shoot cameras use 35-45 mm, I suppose that this is the correct focal length range. I use the the 45 and 90.

Zeiss probably chose the 45 as normal because it is close to the measurement of the diagonal of the negative - 43 mm. (6cm x 6cm format has a diagonal of 84.85 mm and the normal lens is 80 mm) This hold true of other formats as well.

Max and Jim are both right, but I think you all are not looking at the real problem.
Leica RF help human peripheral vision, because you can watch a moving item in the viewfinder and wait until it reaches the frame for he lense you are using.
I think the real problem is, what perspective do you want on your pictures. As said quite a while before, each lense has a different perspective and preferences are very different. Most people like the wide-angle perspective, becaus it has a larger foreground and a small background .

But, isn't the perspective a result of the angular coverage? Look at the larger format cameras. A 200 mm is a telephoto for 35mm, but for 8 x 10 it is a wide angle and produces images with the same wide angle appearance as WAs on 35mm or other formats. 40 and 50mm are wide angles for 6x6 (Hasselblad/Rollie etc.) and produce wide angle images.

But Hans is on the right track - use the lens that gives you the results you desire.

Each focal length has it use, but it seems that with RF cameras most sysems are limited to WA and short telephoto. The lens selection offered by Contax is, to me, ideal.

Jim

Jim is also on the right track. The bigger the film-diagonal is, the larger the lense (80mm for 6x6), the perspective of a wide-angle is always the same, as is the perspective of a telephoto lense.
WA gives you more perspective, short telephot is ideal fo portraits.

Back