DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Aperture ring mystery

bdy

I just noticed that the aperture rings on all 3 of my lenses are behaving strangely. When the lenses are dismounted the ring moves so the dot indicator goes from about f/11 to well past the smallest aperture. It seems as if the diaphragm is behaving properly, just the indicator is incorrect.

When I mount the lenses everything is fine, and the indicator seems to be just where it should be.

Has anyone experienced this? Thanks.

The aperture indicator mark on the G lenses moves when the lens is mounted and dismounted. It is normal that the indication would be incorrect when the lens is not mounted on the camera. When you mount the lens, carefully watch the aperture indicator as you turn the lens. It will move.

> [Brandon, You may be right, but I never noticed this before. It doesn't seem to affect the functioning. Do your lenses do the same?]

Bernard, yes my lenses do the same thing. I believe this is normal.

Bernard,

When I bought Contax G1 and Planar 45, this aperture ring behaviour confuses me too. But as what written in the lens' manual, it is not a malfunction. The lens just designed that way for some reason.

Trisnadi

--- In reply to Bernard Yomtov "I just noticed that the aperture rings on all 3 of my lenses are behaving strangely. When the lenses are dismounted the ring moves so the dot indicator goes from about f/11 to well past the smallest aperture. It seems as if the diaphragm is behaving properly, just the indicator is incorrect."

Back