DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Zeiss G 45 vs. G 35 etc

Would like some help here. I am a former G1 45/2 owner. Sold this for a Nikon, stupidly, and now I have sold that to go back to the G series because the Zeiss lenses have no match, in my opinion. Since I am on a limited budget, I can't buy more than one lens. B&H has the G1/35/2/TLA200 flash for around $800. But, I've heard that the 35/2 has horrible bokeh. Some shots I have with the 45/2 stun me because of color and the incredible bokeh. There's a kind of poetry in it, that I'm afraid I'll miss on the 35/2 (even though I love this focal length). Can anybody comment here? The T3 is also very attractive and, as someone said above, the lens is even better than the 35/2 Planar, but I don't know if I want to drop that much on a P&S. Somehow it just doesn't seem as stable as the G1 with the option of future lenses. Please help! I'd like to purchase on Monday because B&H in NY is have a one-day Contax sale and everything will be ten percent off.

Dino..
Check that ad at B&H again. I believe the G2 kit they sell comes with the 45/2.

I've found by shopping around, the other lenses can be had reasonably. I just bought a new in the box 28mm for $259.00

Jeff in Colorado

Dino,

above all it depends on waht you want to make pictuers of/which shooting style you have.

If you want to have a maximum flexibility, I would pick the 45 lens, if you normally tend to shoot more wideangle, the 35mm is better for you. But the 45mm is definitely better in lens quality.

I will send you another dealer as private e-mail..

Dirk

Dino,

In my experience there is certainly nothing "horrible" about the 35mm Planar. It doesn't have the astonishing sharpness of the 45 but then, what other lens does? I use my 35 quite a bit (often taking the 35 and the 21 in a two-lens kit) with very good results. I won't comment on bokeh, as I feel it's strictly a matter of personal preference rather than a measureable variable. My slides are very "Zeiss-like."

If your shooting preferences point you to getting a 35, then don't be frightened away from the G's Planar. OTOH, if your selection is primarily cost-limited and you would rather have the 45, figure out how to get one (new, gray market or used) within your budget. Otherwise you'll always be wishing you had. (I'd also recommend a used G2 over a new G1.)

Maybe you can get a G2 and 45 within your budget, and skip the TLA 200 for now? The 200 isn't such a great flash for the money anyway.

The T3 is a lovely little camera with a great lens, but cannot match a G in speed, features and flexibility. The main reason to prefer the T3 over a G is if you need the small size and light weight. If so, then the T has no equal.

Sorry if all I've done is confuse the issue :)

--Rick

Hi Dino,

35/2 Planar horrible bokeh? dunno where you heard that, but it seems outright quatsch, it is one of the finest lenses around.
I bought my G2 after I already owned the T3, and the first lens I purchased was the 35/2, for the simple reason that that is my favorite focal length. Later I also bought the 21, 45 and 90. Couldn't resist getting the 45, because everyone and every test said it belonged to the best lenses ever made, if not the best. And guess what, the 35 I use the most and the 45 the least, it stays in its bag most the time.... not that I'm sorry that I bought it.
Point is, the quality of these lenses is so good that you can choose any lens which fits your shooting preferences best.
IMHO.

BTW, I bought the entire equipment new in the box with 2 years guarantee etc. for a bit over half the retail price on Ebay.
Good luck.

Regards
Raymond

I own and use both the 35/2 and 45/2 G lenses. The 35/2 is an outstanding lens, but there is no question that the bokeh it produces at f2-2.8 is a bit granular. Bright spots, especially, appear sparkly. Whether or not this is a bad thing is a matter of personal taste. I do not hesitate to use this lens, although I do try to keep the aperture at f4 and above. However, if the situation calls for f2, then f2 it is.

Overall, I consider the 45/2 to be a superior to the 35/2. The 28/2.8 is the best of all, but I use it the least.

BTW, I also own a Contax T2 with CZ 38/2.8 sonnar lens that, I believe, is strong competition for the 35/2G. I just finished some street shooting in San Francisco with the T2. Some of the images are so astonishingly sharp and crisp that they stand up well against photos taken with the G on the same trip.

Ok...I've seen the word "bokeh" twice here in the last week.. Never heard it before, it doesn't show up in my dictionary.. What the heck does it mean??

Jeff in colorado

>Contax User Forum: Contax G-system: G-lenses: G 90 focussing issue

>This summer I bought a used G2 with 3 lenses.

When shooting the G90 lens vertically, I often experience that the lens can't find focus, thus preventing me from taking the shot. Very irritating! When I use the camera horizontally, this doesn't happen, nor does it happen with my wider lenses. Does anybody else among you G owners have this problem? Is the lens faulty somehow (I still have some warranty left), or am I doing something wrong?

I would appreciate any comments on how to deal with this. It's an amazing lens when it works, I just need to make sure that I can trust it every time, even in the vertical!

Back