DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Something is going on with Zeiss

Hi Mr Blume,
Thank you for referring me to that site and now I understand what aspheric means.
How trustworthy is my review ? I wrote it because it helps to organize my thought before purchasing the gears,afterall it is quite an investment. I only have the intention to know about the truth. I have only two G lenses,the information I gathered for the other lenses are derived from the manufacturer's MTF charts,www.photodo.com,www.geocities/ilprode www.zeissikon.com and www.photographyreview.com
I agree the review will be a lot more trustworthy if I had the chance to test all the lenses,but it seems this is a bit too far. Although many people do not trust the MTF charts, I find it helpful to consider before buying,it helps to make the right choice.
I have 10 Zeiss lenses,my photographic experience correlates very well with the Zeiss charts,so are my 3 Leica lenses. I find the MTFs from these people trustworthy. Afterall,the MTF is very scientific to measure a fundamental property of the lens. It is communicatable and reproducible. The ilprode site is also accurate,although it only contains informations for C-Y lenses. The interpretation of photodo has to be careful,I find the MTF score for each f-no more accurate than the overall grade of the lens.I would add plus or minus 0.1 at the latter. The photographyreview tells you about the impression of the users and it is useful when he or she is talking about two lenses that you want to compare.
By looking at the charts,50 mm 1.4 S'lux performs so well at 1.4 that you will know that its MTF at f2 outperforms the others. The reason I say G45 is the best preformer at f4 are as follow.(1) this lens has good MTF curves at f4 and the curves are more or less the same as others at 5.6 (2) At p'review site,4 people have both G45 and S'ron,3 said G is better (3) photodo gives better MTF value for the G in overall grade and each f no.
I myself is confident on my review as far as MTF are concern. Although the curves do not give a complete picture of the lens,it does provide important informations to make the choice to buy or not to buy.

Hi Mr Blume,
Thank you for referring me to these sites. Apart from sharpness and acutance which can be used to judge the lens performance,contrast at a larger scale characterized by the curve of 5 lp/mm,is also important in the choice of lenses.
I suppose in the earlier posting saying that Leica lenses produces a better ''3D" effect than Zeiss,the writer is also referring to this particular kind of contrast. The performance of the 5 lp/mm curve in MTF chart will show the ability of the lens to produce this effect.

I think you'll find that regarding 3D imaging the content of the photograph has far more to do with the perception than line pairs per millimetre of Zeiss or Leica lenses. The eye has different sensitivities to different colours and furthermore different colours are refracted to a different extent by the eye lens, meaning that the eye has to work harder to bring red into focus than green, and the eye is far more sensitive to red.

If you want to try it out photograph a bright red flower against a mute green background. I did this some 30 years ago and the result was that you felt you could reach out and pick the flower. The camera I used was a Halina 35x which I'd been bought for my 11th birthday, cost less than =A37.

I agree with Alex that difference in colour does produce contrast and contribute to the 3D effect. How about black and white ? What factors contribute to the 3D effect in black and white ? There are answers in my earlier postings and in Mr Blume's earlier referral to the web site.
Does Leica lenses really produce better "3D" effect than Zeiss,if so which ones ?

In my experience the majority of those who love to discuss MTF's and theory continue to post of out focus under-exposed boring image's on the various high end equipment forums....let's see some "work' show me the subtle difference's you see...this hair!!

Hi Folks,

I have held off for far too long, I am in total agreement with both John and Dermot. Where are your images Chi? I don't see any in the gallery. Have I missed them?

Paul

I agree content has much to do with it, and more than LPM I believe lens contrast and color characteristics will help produce the 3D imaging initiated by the content. Lenses with excellent contrast (e.g. CZ lenses) promote the 3d imaging posed by the content. Lenses with low contrast dull the 3d potential of the content. That's why we love that CZ look
happy.gif
. To wit some boring but colorfull fall images I'm posting on the gallery.

DJ

Back