CI Photocommunity

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

Contax AX and macro setting

F

frogmeister

I am considering selling all of my Nikon and Rollei to go back to N1 or possibly AX.... While I understand that the AX provides a built-in 10mm extension ring, I am curious as to how that changes close focusing distance, i.e., the 85 1.4 has a minimum of 3.5 feet - what does that change to when the AX is in macro mode? With the prices of CZ primes, and my love of CZ glass, I'll be buying/trading into an RTS III, AX or back to the N1 system. Most of my work is candids, portraits, and nature.... (I'm also posting this in the N1 area...)
Thanks for your thoughtful responses!

afranklin

Hi David,

> While I understand that the AX provides a built-in > 10mm extension ring, I am curious as to how that changes close > focusing distance, i.e., the 85 1.4 has a minimum of 3.5 feet - what > does that change to when the AX is in macro mode?

Ah, that is why I love the AX...it lets me use any of my lenses, especially the 85...which has a ~1M minimum focus, as close as I want... I've never measured the close distance I can now get with my 85 with the AX but it's real close.

If you don't mind the size/bulk, the AX is really an exceptionally excellent camera.

Regards,

Austin

F

frogmeister

Hi Austin,
Do you have any s&les I could see, especially of the 85/AX in 'macro mode'? Also, what has the reliability of the AX been like for you? I've read lots of negative - expecially the power supply problem (here and on other forums).

Thanks so much for you response. I'm use to the size/weight of the F5 so I doubt that the AX will feel 'big' to me....

Dave

bobbl46

It will focus between 1m and 0.6m when the 85/1.4 is set to its minimum focusing distance (1m).

Note that there is a small overlap in the focusing when the lens is set to infinity - from infinity to 0.9m and when set on mfd. No Blind spot between infinity to 0.6m. Which is nice!

Don't you just love that AX!

Need any other figures? Just ask.

Cheers, Bob.

F

frogmeister

Hi Bob,

That is very cool! I don't know if I love the AX since I've never handled one, but I sure am liking the concept of it! I previously owned the N1 and sold it for the lack of development in the line from Contax. The N1 was my first Zeiss glass, and I'm hooked. :~)_

I have the chance to buy a demo with warranty, so am seriously considering it, along with some lenses (85 1.4, 35 1.4/28 2.8, 50 1.4, 35-70 maybe) but would be primarily buying it for the 35 and 85 1.4s. I'm working on a series of black and white florals/still lifes that I hope to turn into a series of cards and a calendar by this time next year, and the softness of the 85 wide open is the primary reason I'm thinking about going back to Zeiss... along with the overall wonderful 'feel' of CZ images.

My concerns are: What will Contax do with the C/Y line, and reliability of the AX. I'm selling my Nikon gear, lenses, a D100, an F5 and misc. accessories, and probably my Rollei 6008i system to do this. (Don't have the money to keep it all and buy C/Y CZs....

Or, I'll keep the Rollei and buy a macro lens out of the proceeds from the Nikon stuff. But I really am addicted to the CZ glass. Nothing like it. Including Leica.... Although I think I like Leitz for the color saturation o so slightly better....

My problem is that there is no camera store large enough for me to put my hands on this and 'try' it within about a 3 hour drive (one way). And I would gladly do that, but they seldom have what I'm thinking about anyway....

Do you have any s&le images of the 85 in 'macro mode'? I'd love to see 1-2 (or more) if possible.... Also, have you used the 35 1.4 in macro.... How is it?

Thanks so much for your reply. Happy Holidays!

Dave

F

frogmeister

Bob,

I've read on this forum and one other about AXs just suddenly dying. I would assume that describes a power supply issue. But am glad to hear that yours is fine. I am very strongly leaning towards the AX demo that is available to me, with a series of primes, and maybe the 35-70 zoom.

I spent all day yesterday looking through galleries on contaxinfo, looking at old negs from my N1 days, and this glass is just wonderful! I'd forgotten....

Regards, Dave

bobbl46

David

That's one very nice set up ... if you buy them.

Look at it this way .... if you get them and don't like the body .... sell it/them, or buy a different body for the lenses. You'll have a warranty as back up, and provided you haven't paid over the top for the items, what little you lose can be thought of as a "hire" fee to try it all out. I have done this several times and kept the items I liked and sold (sometimes at a profit!) the ones I didn't. I've had lots of pleasure and experience thrown in for free too!

I am not at all concerned with what Kyocera do with the MF(ABF!) line. There are thousands of good used cameras and lenses available, which will outlive me (my needs!).

Just look at all those enthusiasts with the older Zeiss systems. Well, OK, maybe I'm not comparing like with like, but I've enough faith in the "modern" CX's not too worry. My attitude is that you could mount a Zeiss lens on a shoebox and still get good images
I can't tell the difference between a shot on an "ancient" FR or my AX ..... I just love using my AX to supplement my eyesight, and for its versatility.

I've owned nearly every modern vanilla CX cameras, the Previews, S2b, Aria and RXII are the exceptions. My favourites are (in decending order) the AX, 137MA, RTS II/RTS III(joint) and ST. You may find the 137MA's position a bit odd but I like a no-frills camera sometimes and often use it or an FX-3 super 2000 as my back-up.

Sorry, I sold my 85/1.4 before I bought the AX. Never owned a 35/1.4. I could put a 35/2.8 or 28/2.8 on, or a Tamron 80-200/2.8 SP, set to 85!

Send me a private message if you would like the full macro table from the AX manual (200KB).

Cheers, Bob.

afranklin

> Do you have any s&les I could see, especially of the 85/AX in 'macro > mode'?

No, sorry, I don't.

> Also, what has the reliability of the AX been like for you?

The AX I have had for some four or so years has been flawless. I had a second one that I sold to another list member. It developed a problem, but Contax covered it underwarranty and I don't believe there were any further issues.

Regards,

Austin

lwang

> I would consider the RX body as well. The shutter is magnificently low in sound and vibration (my better in this regard than my Olympus SLR's were). It strikes a nice balance weight-wise (heavy enough to handle the nice Zeiss lenses, won't give a backache.)