DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a spin-off of dpreview. We are a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. From smartphone to Medium Format.

DPRF is a community for everybody, every brand and every sensor format. Digital and film.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Filters for Black and White Photography

My experience is: 90mm, no vignetting even with 2 filters + hood; 45mm, no vignetting with one filter + hood; 28mm, no vignetting with a filter and no vignetting with a hood-but definite vignetting when hood and filter are combined. The 21mm does not vignet with a filter. I have not used a hood with this lens. All filters used were rather thick, standard Tiffens. By the way, I cannot tell that the Tiffen brand degrades my picture quality in any way.

Ron in NM

Hi the contax filters I own have larger diameter threds at the front to allower for this, dont know if this is true for all C.Z filters though.
john

Black and White filters again

I am going to buy some B & W filters for my G2. ( probably a red, yellow, maybe a green/yellow.)

Will the G2 TTL exposure automatically compensate for these filters (even the red?), or will I have to make adjustments?

thanks in advance.

Hello,

Yes indeed, the camera does TTL metering so it will meter thru the filter and compensate for it. However, it has been my experience that it does underexpose significantly with the red filter, especially with Scala. Haven't had time to do conclusive tests to establish whether it is a red sensitivity issue with the film or if the red affects the sensitivity of the meter.

Personally, I would opt for a darker yellow, orange and red and perhaps a light yellow green for skin tones. B&W is certainly good stuff. Currently, I'm using the Rodenstock filters because they are also very good but I really like the way the individual containers all lock and stack together. Great space saver and organized too.

Only an opinion, certainly not gospel.

Cheers.

Paul

Back