DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Zeiss Biogon 21mm f2.8 Lens

G

Several months ago, I got my G-2 with 3 lenses, including the 28 mm and I am considering getting the 21mm lens. I have seen some photo's shot with the 21mm on the Web, but not many. From my review of many web sources some of the advantages of the 21 mm over the 28 mm is wider field of view (90 vs 75) and better depth of field). Users of the both lenses: do you feel that the greater field of view and extra depth of field justify the cost? Are there other reasons to have the 21mm? Are there other s&le photos with the 21mm on the web that I can review. What do you recommend?

HF

I had both lenses and 21mm is better in performance and quality. Once you have the 21mm, this lens will always on your G2, I sure..

Leo Jar from Hong Kong.

Leo,

How long have you had the 21mm? What are your prime subjects of your photo's?

HF

I had the lens more than two years. Most I use this lens in street snapshooting. Building and people are the main subjects of my photos. Since I always come very close to the people (in term of distance), 21mm is a very useful lens which can preserve the information of the background and the subject.

I am using high speed film (asa 400)and the 21 mm f/2.8 can take good photo from almost any light condition from outdoor to inhouse scene. G2 thas its merit since the shutter speed can be set one stop slower when compare with SLR. You can still take a pretty good picture even the shutter speed reaches 1/4s by using 21mm

I am not using the 28mm too much now. What lenses will be taken for general shooting are 21mm, 45mm and 90mm (and a Contax T3 when I need flash).

* I had just purchase a 16mm Hologon. Although it is a great lens in term of image quality, the aperture is little bit small (only have f/8).

Any query please let me know.

Leo

> Hi Leo,

I wonder if you find the same thing I found out years ago when learning to use a 21mm lens. I used to stand in the street in Hong Kong with the lens set to around 3 feet or less, and pretend to be photographing the buildings. People walking past would get into range and I would get their portrait. They would then (mostly) apologise for getting in the way of my shot, and for being inside my "circle of privacy" as they perceived it. It's a great way to shoot pictures of complete strangers - just let them run into you ! Robin

I have been thinking about purchasing a 21 mm lens. Is there any difference in quality between a grey market lens and a dealer lens? I have seen a guy selling out of Hong Kong on ebay and the price is low enough that it has to be grey market. Thanks
Mike

Hi HF,
Yes, you are right. However, be a foreigner in Hong Kong, you are more easy to take this kind of photo since the people is thinking you're just an another tourist using a vintage camera (when I show my g camera to my friend, they always ask how old it is!) If you have the 16mm I am sure you will more easy to take the street snapshoot. Share with you, I love take street snapshoot photo. After few year, you will found that they are the most interesting "story book" and will tell the history of that time, especially in fast changing world. Street snapshoot photography is the other way to preserve the past.
If you had chance to come to Hong Kong, try go to buy Contax G lens. I think the G lens in Hong Kong is the cheapest.... 16mm = US$750

Enjoy
Leo

> (when I show my g camera to my friend, they always ask how old it is!)

Leo,

I'm just curious about it:
Is your G in titanium or black finish?

My one is titanium and nobody has ever told me it looks "old", rather than somewhat pretentious.

Hi Guys,
does anyone have a good address to mail order the 21mm G2 lens in Hong Kong?
seb

Back