DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Contax N1

Ive just bought bought the N1 and 24-85, after using the canon A1 with primes for several years. Something puzzles me me when using this combination, and there is probably a logical explanation for it. When on aperture priority, and I've set my aperture on, say, 8, when i move my lens from 24mm to about 50 and beyond, the paerture rading on the body (viewfinder and screen) moves down one stop, to 11.When i move the aperture on the lens, the aperture on the body shifts correspondingly. Can anyone explain this to me - its probably has to do with it being a zoom lens (a new experience for me), but what in fact happens then, and secondly, what reading is the used?

Thanks for any explanations.

Marc.

Mathematically, the F nos is related to the length and the diameter of the lens. For the Zoom lens, when you are zooming the object, you change the length of the lens, and as a result change the f no. (I think)

Marc, the effect that you are seeing is indeed related to this lens being a zoom lens, but not all zoom lenses will do this. Some zoom lenses (like Nikkor 80-200mm AFS f/2.8, for instance) have a constant maximum aperture value throughout the zoom range.

The Contax N-series T* 24-85mm lens, however, has a maximum aperture of f/3.5~f/4.5. That means that the maximum aperture is f/3.5 at the short end of the zoom (24mm) and f/4.5 at the long end of the zoom (85mm). The actual change in aperture is gradual (though not quite linear) throughout the zoom range. The camera can only display aperture changes in specific increments, though.

You can still shoot a f/8 when zoomed out to 85mm, you just need to set the aperture ring to f/5.6.

One very interesting thing that I just discovered... the Contax N Digital doesn't have this issue. My N1 works the same as you are describing, but on my N Digital if I set the aperture to F/8 it stays at f/8 throughout the zoom range. If I change the aperture to f/3.5 it changes to f/4.5 at the long end of the zoom range (as you would expect since that is the maximum aperture). I prefer the approach that the N Digital takes. If I set the aperture to f/8 and the lens supports this aperture throughout the range, then why change it?

Hope this helps.

David

the n digital behave the same as other modern camera's but on the N1 = there was an oversight and they sort of missed this feature!!=20

Folks, I am struggling with the N1's viewfinder limit to 95% of the actual film frame. Many sites are listing this as some kind of feature to be proud of. I do not see any advantage in my application; photographing artwork. In fact, it is causing me problems as I need to compose the art to fill the maximum frame in one direction. Is there a work around? Does the digital LCD viewfinder show 100% of the image area? Is there a different focus screen that will provide 100% view? Any tech data to specifiy where the 5% is missing from? I love the camera, but may have to dump it for this one major drawback. Any insight is appreciated.

I do use my N1 to shoot portfolio for artists and galleries in E6 formats. Very often it requires maximum framing especially for paintings. I used to be very concerned about the 95% viewfinder in slides. But experience tells that I would use the N1 to compose my subject as 100% viewfinder. When the films are mounted, it loses some area. So it work out pretty well. I could not tell where exactly the 5% is missing since the mounted slides are sometime off center very slightly to one side even I use the best pro lab in town. I would assume that missing 5% are the outer are in all sides.

Machine prints also lose some image area as well. So, to me at least, it is not a concern. The overall quality of the N1 and its lenses are far more significant than the 95% viewfinder limitation. If one wants to pick a reason to dump their N1, I can find some that are much more significant. For ex&le, lack of Polaroid back...

Having said that, Contax never claims N1 is a pro grade camera. So 95% viewfinder and no Polaroid back support is understandabe.

But then, when clients view the "crisp" slides over the light table with a 8x loupe, they are so amazed with the quality N1 and the Zeiss lenses can produce. That's the ultimate reason I switched my 35mm and MF to Contax.

I do use my N1 to shoot portfolio for artists and galleries in E6 formats. Very often it requires maximum framing especially for paintings. I used to be very concerned about the 95% viewfinder in slides. But experience tells that I would use the N1 to compose my subject as 100% viewfinder. When the films are mounted, it loses some area. So it work out pretty well. I could not tell where exactly the 5% is missing since the mounted slides are sometime off center very slightly to one side even I use the best pro lab in town. I would assume that missing 5% are the outer are in all sides.

Machine prints also lose some image area as well. So, to me at least, it is not a concern. The overall quality of the N1 and its lenses are far more significant than the 95% viewfinder limitation. If one wants to pick a reason to dump their N1, I can find some that are much more significant. For ex&le, lack of Polaroid back...

Having said that, Contax never claims N1 is a pro grade camera. So 95% viewfinder and no Polaroid back support is understandabe.

But then, when clients view the "crisp" slides over the light table with a 8x loupe, they are so amazed with the quality N1 and the Zeiss lenses can produce. That's the ultimate reason I swithed my 35mm and MF to Contax.

Actually, 95% is pretty standard for SLRs isn't it? I'm hard pressed to think of one that is 100%, although there probably are some.
I don't think the LCD viewfinder will not solve the problem. It fits over the eye piece and reads what is in the viewfinder.

As far as I know, no SLR maker makes a Polaroid back for their cameras, even pro level ones. The Polaroid backs for 35mm SLRs are made by 3rd party manufacturers.

Actually the Nikon F5 has a 100% view finder coverage. It is the only one in the current Nikon line-up though. Even the F100 is 96%.

Regarding viewfinder coverage, I remember reading a Popular Photography test which stated that the N1 viewfinder showed only about 89% of the actual image. Also, we should include the Canon EOS 1v and the Minolta Maxxum 9 in the elite group of 35mm SLRs that have 100% viewfinder coverage.

Back