DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Adventures in the South Island with a Panasonic GM1

Tom Caldwell

Happy Wanaka locals on a night out

P1020093-01.jpg
  • Panasonic - DMC-GM1
  • 30.0 mm
  • ƒ/2.8
  • 1/40 sec
  • Pattern
  • Auto exposure
  • ISO 3200

Wanaka is a very scenic place

P1020141-01.jpg
  • Panasonic - DMC-GM1
  • 1/200 sec
  • Pattern
  • Auto exposure
  • ISO 200

Wanaka from Iron Mountain - worth the walk

P1020456-01.jpg
  • Panasonic - DMC-GM1
  • 1/320 sec
  • Pattern
  • Auto exposure
  • ISO 125

Plurry cold in the South Island at Easter - Oz was warmer

P1020839-01.jpg
  • Panasonic - DMC-GM1
  • 30.0 mm
  • ƒ/2.8
  • 1/160 sec
  • Pattern
  • Auto exposure
  • ISO 200

Little Miss Jaunty on Iron Mountain on a warmer day

P1020561-01.jpg
  • Panasonic - DMC-GM1
  • 1/1600 sec
  • Pattern
  • Auto exposure
  • ISO 200

From the pass down there lieth Queenstown and that little straight line is the airport m'fella

P1030282-01.jpg
  • Panasonic - DMC-GM1
  • 60.0 mm
  • ƒ/5.6
  • 1/800 sec
  • Pattern
  • Auto exposure
  • ISO 200

The Ditch, on a good day

P1030017-01.jpg
  • Panasonic - DMC-GM1
  • 1/800 sec
  • Pattern
  • Auto exposure
  • ISO 200

Happy ... he worked out that it was not spinning

P1030495 1-01.jpg
  • Panasonic - DMC-GM1
  • 12.0 mm
  • ƒ/2
  • 1/80 sec
  • Pattern
  • Auto exposure
  • ISO 200

Milford Sound - it was much wetter than it looked

P1030623-01.jpg
  • Panasonic - DMC-GM1
  • 12.0 mm
  • ƒ/4.5
  • 1/320 sec
  • Pattern
  • Auto exposure
  • ISO 200

If the image is soft it is because by this stage the camera might as well have been dropped in a bucket of water. At least the flag is not too bad. The same camera and lens dried out is still working nine years later.

P1030750-01.jpg
  • Panasonic - DMC-GM1
  • 13.0 mm
  • ƒ/4
  • 1/500 sec
  • Pattern
  • Auto exposure
  • ISO 200

Great images Tom

Ahhh yes, a slice of home. Worked in Queenstown and Wanaka for quite awhile. Funny walking around in a tee shirt when it's -6 degrees. Beautiful places they are and well done Tom.

Danny.

The last image was very soft as the camera was drenched, soaking wet and water streaming off the lens - it is a tribute to the GM1 and the kit lens that was the only one I had the guts to use in such wet conditions. But I carefully dried both on the way back to Te Anau and left them in indirect heat overnight - seems ot have worked.

The last image was very soft as the camera was drenched, soaking wet and water streaming off the lens - it is a tribute to the GM1 and the kit lens that was the only one I had the guts to use in such wet conditions. But I carefully dried both on the way back to Te Anau and left them in indirect heat overnight - seems ot have worked.
Nice work tom, a lot of memories in your images for me as i was born in a place called Gore, not far from wanaka and queenstown.

Will get back there in the next few years i hope.

The very soft flag image was not because of a classic soft focus lens or even out of focus but rather the lens has so much water on it that soft focus look was the best it could do. I had been using a tissue to wipe the water off the lens but by this stage it had well and truly fallen apart so my 'classic' NZ maritime flag with waterfall background was a failure - but the essence of what I meant was still there.

A bit like Capa's D-Cay landing images - the best that could be achieved on the day. The best images were on the top deck outside in the wet but only I and a couple of others braved the inundation. I sought what shelter I could find but hardly under-cover. Other images were taken with tissue-wiping help or before the wet really ramped up.

Back