Contax filters Any good

G

Hi,

I wondered, are contax filters okay?
Are they just as good as B+W? Worse. Or maybe better.
Does anyone has som experiences with contax filters?

regards,

Jeroen

G

I have some Contax filters and I like them. However, now when I buy any filter I make sure it is multicoated. Frankly, I think Hoya, Heliopan and B+W are all fine products and you won't regret them. Contax filters are particularly great if everything on one's camera must be labled "Contax". +) Jack C.

G

I wondered, are contax filters okay? > Are they just as good as B+W? Worse. Or maybe better.> Does anyone has som experiences with contax filters?

Yes , I have one or two - they are very good quality , comparable pretty much to B&W or Heliopan . Very often they are more expensive though..... Steve

G

I found one odd thing about the B+W filters I have...

If I hold a B+W filter and a Contax filter (both UV) up to a lightsource so I get the worst glare across the face, the B+W shows more washing out white than the Contax does...the Contax also seems to have a greenish tint to the glare like my eyeglasses that have a anti-reflective coating on them...

Anyone else see this?

John

G

> So, what does this mean? Are you saying that contax filters are better,

G

Unfortunately, I am having a problem with the Contax polarizing filter on the N1. It is "frozen", and I cannot loosen it. Any suggestions?

G

> Unfortunately, I am having a problem with the Contax polarizing filter> on the N1. It is "frozen", and I cannot loosen it. Any suggestions?

Try using one of those rubber things to loosen the tops of screw top jars etc . Also once you have got it off rub some pencil lead onto the threads - the graphite is an excellent dry lubricant....... Steve

G

"Unfortunately, I am having a problem with the Contax polarizing filter on the N1. It is "frozen", and I cannot loosen it. Any suggestions?"

Latex kitchen gloves are marvellous for removing stuck filters.

G

Contax UV MC (Multi Coated) filters are very good.
Shooting in daylight the colours are more vivid.
I prefere B+W polar filter with 50mm but Contax is better with 28mm because is a bit wider than the filter diameter in order to avoid vignetting.

G

I have use contax 28mm f2.8 with stepup adapter ring(55mm to 62mm)which is very slim plus B&W Polar filter without vignetting, but I have top remove the contax skylight filter.

This is use with Aria camera, earlier I have try with skylight filter+B&W pola+ adapter ring 55 to 60 there is vegenetting.

I have also tested using B&W and the skylight
filter without success. I have even try the pola
filter (Sear brand) only but still vegenetting.
I suppose the filter ring is to thick.

timbrown

Contax filters are not made by Contax, and no-one seems to know who makes them. The consensus is that Heliopan and B+W are the best in the world, and from B+H, Heliopan comes in a bit cheaper. they are both German glass. I've not seen anyone say that Contax filters are

U

urgenta

Hi all

I prefer B&W Filters for all my lenses. Only for the Nikon 28-85 AF I use a Nikon Polarizing Filter.

Hans

shq

What do you think about Cokin filters (series A, P)? Is their quality the same as B+W?

Kirill.

T

traverson

Just a question : is it possible to use a polarizing filter on a telemetric camera ?

rico

Diane,

Based on reputation, I picked B+W for my (modest) filter needs. Their full catalog (25MB) has plenty of general info and is on-line at the parent company site:

Please, Log in or Register to view URLs content!

For the bandwidth-impaired, their catalog can be downloaded by chapter.

Points relating to your equipment:

- First, choose multi-coated (MRC) filters, otherwise your excellent lenses will lose their edge, especially in scenes of high contrast (e.g. night work).

- Second, the autofocus N system needs more expensive circular polarizers. With manual-focus SLRs, I manage with the linear type.

- Third, the wide end of your zoom may vignette with the thickness of standard B+H filters. You will want further input on this matter, or a hands-on test. Slim filters solve the problem, at greater cost and loss of the front thread (no further stacking of filters).

Finally, the B+H filters have super build of heavy brass with matte-black finish. Great stuff! The rotating portion has firm action, meaning it holds position if you brush against it.

yogi

I don't have much experience using Heliopan filters but my comparison of Contax 46mm filters with my B+W 46mm filters show that the 46mm Contax filter coatings are slightly better than the B+W MRC coatings and at some angles the Contax filters look like they do not have glass on them at all. This is only based on 46mm UV filters though. I have no experience with other sizes. The B+W is definitely a good filter as it compares well to the Nikon L37c that I use, although the Nikon filter rings are thinner for the most part. ( I guess it depends on what size filters though )

Thanks for the advice regarding a polarizer filter.
Neither BW nor Contax offers a multi-coated circular film in 82mm. Actually, BW does in a slim version, but it has a push on filter cap which I find a pain---------it falls off the filter into tne camera bag, especially when shooting in hot climates. I often hike in dusty or sandy locations so I keep my camera in the bag.
Is giving up MRC a mistake -- do I just put up with the very annoying push on cap? Also, should I purchase BW or Contax, assuming I don't buy MRC? What about the BW Kaesemann (not MRC)?
Again, thanks to everyone for their help.

timbrown

>1- B+W non MRC said to be better than Contax and better than most non MRC (MRC = multi-resistant, unclear that means better optics, but scratch-resistant; Kaesmann is supposed to be a much more sophisticated filter than the ordinary one, presumably a step up. I've also hear people say that Hoya's top of the line comes a few hairs away from the B&W, difference might well not be discernible. Have you looked at the B&H Web site - there's much more there than you speak of in both B+W and Heliopan. Slim, regular, MRC, non-MRC, Kaesmann

rico

Diane,

I merely read the B+H literature, but the Käsemann polarizers are edge-sealed for better weather resistance. Pricey damn things. They're uncoated, but B+H say polarizers don't need a single coat treatment. That doesn't stop them from offering multi-coated (MRC) polarizers of the non-Käsemann variety. Good science, or good marketing?