DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Contax TVS vs. TVSII

G

The truly big difference between the TVS and the TVS II is the latter does not have the panarama mode and you can not loose the lens cap from the TVS II.......
Don B.

Hi

What is the maximum ISO film speed that the TVSII can recognise? I just tried an ISO 3200 film but it didn't seem to be measurinf correctly. I compared it to my EOS3 with similar film and apertures and speeds and it definitely seems to be reading wrong.

Brian

Hi Brian,

In my experience TVSII correctly exposes ISO/DXcoded 100, 200 and 400 films and as I recently discovered also ISO/DXcoded 3200film.
I don't know about 6400 films, because as far as I know they do not exist; but if you want to expose your ISO 3200film as ISO 6400, you'll have to set the exposure dial at minus 1.0 (-1.0 EV).
Of course, if you want to compare exposure of differing ISO-films, you'll have to set the exact same focal length as well as take measurements in exactly the same lighting conditions (so you'll want a tripod) - otherwise the comparison wouldn't be corret. [I'm sure you're familiar with all this textbook-exposurestuff!]
For instance, with ISO 400film a certain scene will exposed by the camera at 1/30th - F8, but that very same scene will be exposed at 1/250th - F8 with ISO/DX 3200film on board.
I don't know how they do it at Kyocera/Contax, but 99% of all TVSII's exposures are correct, provided you know how/when to use the exposure correction dial and/or the AE-Lock.

Good luck, Peter (the Netherlands)

Hi Brian,

In my experience TVSII correctly exposes ISO/DXcoded 100, 200 and 400 films and as I recently discovered also ISO/DXcoded 3200film.
The camera's metering system ranges from ISO 50 to 5000 [cf. 'Specifications'in the Manual.]
I don't know about ISO 6400 films, because as far as I know they do not exist; but if you'd want to expose your ISO 3200film as ISO 6400, you'll just have to set the exposure dial at minus 1.0 (-1.0 EV).
Of course, if you want to compare exposure of differing ISO-films, you'll have to set the exact same focal length as well as take measurements in exactly the same lighting conditions (so you'll want a tripod) - otherwise the comparison wouldn't be correct.
For instance, with ISO 400film a certain scene will exposed by the camera at 1/30th - F8, but that very same scene will be exposed at 1/250th - F8 with ISO/DX 3200film on board. [I'm sure you're familiar with all this textbook-exposure stuff!]
I don't know how they do it at Kyocera/Contax, but 99% of all TVSII's exposures are correct, provided you know how/when to use the exposure correction dial and/or the AE-Lock.

Good luck, Peter (the Netherlands)

I just picked up a T VS on eBay, and am having some issues. It seems that when I press the shutter release I hear a noise, and then the dot that tells you if you’re in focus becomes the only thing displayed in the viewfinder and the film does not wind. At that point the camera is locked and will not shot any more.

I figured I would ask here before tell the seller it did not work and asking for a refund.

Sorry about posting this here, but I don’t see a technical or help section or a way to create a new topic.

Hi Geoffrey,
I have recently purchased a Tvs and what you are describing does sound a bit strange... Are you sure the film is wound properly and the battery power is fine as well ? I'm sure you have checked that... The manual does not describe any such scenario either, sorry cannot be of any more help.<font color="ff0000">•<font color="ff0000">•<font color="ff0000">•<font color="ff0000">•<font color="ff0000">•<font color="ff0000">•<font color="ff0000">•<font color="ff0000">•<font color="ff0000">•<font color="ff0000">• sound as if there might be a problem.

I have a TVS II and if mine was doing what you describe I would think it was broken. The viewfinder has several other functions that should still light up and be present if this is just a "you can't shoot this picture, it's not in focus" problem. Sorry to say it, but I think you'd better reconnect with the eBay seller and arrange a refund.

stayingthecourse, =20 Gregg

Right rewound the role that was in there, and now don’t have film in the camera. I just put a new battery in so that should be ok. Also, if I have the back open and depress the shutter button I can’t see the shutter open. I have been able to do this test on every other camera I own.

Thank you both for the fast response.

I'm new to the forum but am not new to Contax. I bought the original Contax T about a year after it was unveiled (I don't remember the year) but the camera had an electronic failure and I had to send it back to Yashica for repair. I later sold it. About a year ago I bought a Contax T2 from KEH. The T2 is a beautiful camera, that takes great photos and is very easy to use. I took my T2 cycling and had it in my rear pocket in my cycling jersey. When I took my cycling jersey off (over my head) I forgot to take the T 2 out of the pocket. It fell 6 1/2 feet and hit the concrete sidewalk. The impact left some minor marks on the titanium cover, but did not dent or break the camera (would have destroyed about every other compact camera), I am very impressed with this cameras ruggedness. I bought a used TVS II a week ago from Kenmar cameras for $445 in E++ condition (with case, strap, battery and manual). The camera is also very solid like the T2 and is about as easy to use. Even though I did get the manual with this camera, I really did not need it. The tvs II is a pleasure to shoot with. I have large hands and it fits in them perfectly. The camera is quiet(much quieter than my Fuji DL mini zoom) and I like the manual zoom.
I just finished shooting my first roll of film and all the exposures came out properly exposed.
My only complaint about the TVS II is that view finder though slightly larger than the Fuji's, is not as sharp. Other than that, the contax is better than the fuji in every other regard. I have loved using compact cameras for years, and have owned many, but the TVS II is my favorite.

Back