DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Nikon J5 - almost perfect

dirk

DPRF-Founder
Administrator
Hi,

I was using the Nikon 1 system a few years ago. I am always looking for the best compromise between size, weight and image quality. At that time I had to travel a lot for the job and hotel safes are not really big enough to put a DSLR with lenses in to it.

So I was searching and found out about the Nikon 1 system. But I did not like that much the image quality with the V-series and its Aptina sensors. Also the J models before the J5 did not convince me. That was really a problem for me. I wanted to have something with a viewfinder but at the same time with the most advanced 1 inch sensor. So, I decided to give the J5 a closer look. I read on the internet a blog on which the author showed really impressive images (do not know the name anymore). That blog dealt almost exclusively about the Nikon 1 system.

The results have been great. I was really impressed with the image quality of the J5 and in most cases, I did not need that much a viewfinder anymore as I originally thought. I bought more and more lenses, even the very expensive 32/1.2 and enjoyed my time with it.

I was really disappointed that Nikon shut down that line. There was so much potential. Especially with articial intelligence included maybe 10 years later.

But I can understand that at that point in the past, the smaller sensor was not enough to keep the size on the whole small enough compared to MicroFourThirds, if you use lenses below 100mm in FF terms.

4Kweb_R0006536.jpg
  • RICOH IMAGING COMPANY, LTD. - GR
  • 18.3 mm f/2.8
  • 18.3 mm
  • ƒ/2.8
  • 1/125 sec
  • Pattern
  • Auto exposure
  • ISO 100

4Kweb_R0006544.jpg
  • 18.3 mm f/2.8
  • 18.3 mm
  • ƒ/2.8
  • 1/125 sec
  • Pattern
  • Auto exposure
  • ISO 100

4Kweb_R0006549.jpg
  • 18.3 mm f/2.8
  • 18.3 mm
  • ƒ/2.8
  • 1/125 sec
  • Pattern
  • Auto exposure
  • ISO 2000

4Kweb_R0006555.jpg
  • 18.3 mm f/2.8
  • 18.3 mm
  • ƒ/4.5
  • 1/40 sec
  • Pattern
  • Auto exposure
  • ISO 2200

Last edited:
The loyal long time N1 / J5 users here can relate to your experiences. The J5 is a sweet little box for sure. Sometimes I am surprised by the output. And if I ever get around to shooting in RAW along with buying some decent software the images produced should be even that much better. Nice photos of your gear! Glad to know that I use the same box as the big man up stairs who controls The Forum here. :z04-breakdance.gif:

I had the J5. Twice! Yeah, the lack of EVF was my issue. So I went V3 with EVF this time. I'm into high image quality, too, which I why I tried the J5 in the first place (similar sensor to RX100s). The drop in quality does hurt a bit, but I'll have to get over it, since there's nothing else out there that matches up with the flexibility and AF performance of the V3 and the N1 system overall. I'm using mine mainly for reach, eventually with a 70-300 AF-P DX VR and 40/2.8 DX Micro. Both will get me closer than kits many times larger and more expensive, and AI NR can help me deal with the rest.

BTW, I also had a GX85, and I never connected with that camera (rare for me). I'd love an updated GM5 with OSDPAF, though!

Back