DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Sigma Dp1 Merrill

Serge

I'll be updating this section with pictures from this wonderful camera
Spring / Valaam Islands

DP1M5511_1920.jpg
  • SIGMA - SIGMA DP1 Merrill
  • 19.0 mm
  • ƒ/10
  • 1/125 sec
  • Center-Weighted Average
  • Auto bracket
  • ISO 100
DP1M5343-Edit_1920.jpg
  • 19.0 mm
  • ƒ/10
  • 1/100 sec
  • Auto bracket
  • ISO 100
DP1M5336_1601.jpg

I always hesitated to buy the Sigma DP1M, because I had already the DP2M and DP3M at that time. I should have bought it.

Later, I sold all my DPMs to have the liquidity for L-Mount in the hope for an L-Mount Foveon camera. That was obviously too early.

Nowaday the Sigma DPMs cost used almost more than new when they were introducing the Quattro line.

Hopefully, we will see again Foveon cameras with the "true" Foveon sensor like the Merrils.

I always hesitated to buy the Sigma DP1M, because I had already the DP2M and DP3M at that time. I should have bought it.

Later, I sold all my DPMs to have the liquidity for L-Mount in the hope for an L-Mount Foveon camera. That was obviously too early.

Nowaday the Sigma DPMs cost used almost more than new when they were introducing the Quattro line.

Hopefully, we will see again Foveon cameras with the "true" Foveon sensor like the Merrils.
Thanks a lot, Dirk!

Yes, the Merrills are the "history". But I decided to keep them while I had a steady income :)

Of all the Merrills, the most uncomfortable for me was the DP3M. Surprisingly slow autofocus, considering it's got great "portrait" optics, but only 7-blades aperture, etc.
I spent a long time shooting with the Dp1M. A great small camera for certain light and colour conditions.
The most advanced is the Sigma SD Quattro H. I'm going on holiday in May and will take it only with the 12-24/2.8 Art and the 24-105/4 Art.

FFF is not going to be around for a very long time yet. They are developing everything from scratch, including the sensor (plate) production technology. Normally, the sensor manufacturing technology and the topology are custom-made on the side of the sensor manufacturer...

It's unclear to me why they didn't realize the full potential of the Quattro sensor and release a full-size sensor, although they could have done it. But... it's Sigma :)

Sigam Dp1M. Sometimes I guess that foveon is made for autumn :)
DP1M6805_1920.jpg
  • 19.0 mm
  • ƒ/5.6
  • 1/500 sec
  • Pattern
  • Auto bracket
  • ISO 100

DP1M3789_1920.jpg
  • 19.0 mm
  • ƒ/7.1
  • 1/100 sec
  • Auto bracket
  • ISO 100

DP1M4192_1920 (3).jpg
  • 19.0 mm
  • ƒ/7.1
  • 1/60 sec
  • Auto bracket
  • ISO 100

Very nice!
Nice deep saturated colours, without that unnatural "Disney" look.
And then ofcourse those details!

Back