Contax G2 Shutter Release Cable

G

I recently purchased a G2 and more recently (today) purchased a tripod. I reviewed the manual and did not see whether there was any special type of cable release I should use when I use tripod. In a pinch, I know that I can use the delay timer.

Can I use a mechanical cable or is there an electronic that I must purchase?

I appreciate a response - either I did not see it the manual or it was not included. I had to waste a thread to what seems like such a simple question. But again I need an answer and do not want to damage the G2.

Howard

G

Hi Howard,

you need cable switch L to operate the shutter. No mechanical cable switch. G2 manual page 192.

G

Thank you gentlemen: Paul for the referral to ebay. And Dirk for indentifying the location in the manual. I will get a switch L.

Howard

G

Dirk,

Will CONTAX CABLE SWITCH L-100 or CONTAX CABLE SWITCH L-30 work? Or must it be CONTAX CABLE SWITCH L?

Howard

G

???Huh?
I have a G2 and just bought a cheap regular cable release..and it works great. The N1 on the other hand requires a special Contax cable release, but the G2 can use any standard mechanical cable release
Jeff

G

Jeff,

Thanks for the suggestion. However...

According to the instruction manual that Dirk referred me to on page 192: "Do not connect a commercially available, ordinary cable release (mechanically operated type) to the release socket because it will cause malfunction."

I think I'll find a Cable Switch L, that the manual recommends than take a chance that it will cause some damage to the G2.

Howard

G

Howard,

as far as I know, the differences between the 2 L-types is just the lenght of the cable.

Jeff,

in the manual of the G2 it is specifically written (page 192 again):

"do not connect a commercially available ordinary cable release (mechanically operated type) to the release socket because it will cause malfunction."

So I would be cautious with in this respect.

Dirk

G

Dirk,

Thanks for the information on the 2 L-types.

Howard

Jeff,

I did a quick search on Google.
Please, Log in or Register to view URLs content!
has the Contax Switch L-30 for $20 and L-100 for $22.40.

Howard

G

You guys are absolutely right about page 192 in the manual...but it's a standard push release rather than an electronic one. Does anybody know what kind of "malfunction" it might cause? I've used the cheapest cable release I could buy..and the results were excellent.. Wonder what the difference is between the Contax and the run of the mill release?

I'm stumped..
Jeff

G

"Can anyone tell me if the G1 and G2 use the same cable?"

according to the manual - yes

G

All Contax bodies can use electronic cable swicth L 100 (1mt)or 30 (30 cm).
So you can use both for contax reflex camera and G series.
Mecanichal can also be used only if the pressure is not to much hard.
PLS use a low pressure and it will work very well.
A hard pressure can damage the connection on camera.
Eugenio.

G

I have Contax G2 (with various lenses). With the 90 mm and the camera on a stable Gitzo tripod I would like to make bird pictures observing the scene from a shelter and with remote operation of the camera. The excellent quality of the camera in combination with the silent operation may work better than my other equipment (Minolta 9 with Minolta APO 400 and 600 mm lenses). But for this I need to be able to be some 5-10 meters away from the place where the objects will be present. So I have two questions:
1. Is there a wireless remote switch that can be used with the G2(like with the Minolta I now have)? If yes where can I buy it?
2. What is the longest remote "mechanical" switch and what is the name/code? Where would I be able to buy it in Holland?

Peter

G

Peter,

I received the following information directly from Contax (Kyocera Optics Inc.) Apparently there is a mechnical cable switch L-1000, which according to my rough calculations is about 30 feet. Perhaps this could work for you.

Cable switches for the manual focus AND G series

L-30 cat# 996359
L-100 cat# 996369
L-300 cat# 996379
L-1000 cat# 996389

Good luck,

Howard

G

With respect to Jeff, a standard cable release can destroy the internal of the remote socket. Many nice cameras had a trip to the Contax service department, because of their owners using standard cable releases. This (that it fits to begin with) is a really odd feature of the Contax SLRs (mm-mount) and the Contax G. Aparently they mended this on the N-SLR by making it obviously incompatible.

I am wondering why nobody send you a warning earlier.

G

With respect to Howard, the switches are electric, no mechanics involved.

G

Can someone tell me what EXACTLY is the problem with using a standard cable release on a G2? How are the Contax cable releases different?

Thanks!
Jeff

G

Hi Jeff,

I'm assuming the G2 requires the same remote shutter realease as the Contax SLRs, in which case it is electronic as opposed to mechanical, a mechanical (standard) type cable when operated pushes a metal plunger into the camera, operating the shutter. An electronic type closes an electrical circuit (with a switch on the end of an electrical cable) the camera then fires the shutter electronically. A mechanical cable release plugged into an electronic socket is not only not going to work, but is likely to break the socket as a metal plunger from the standard cable release is forced into the eletrical connector on the camera. Be careful to use the correct type!

Art

G

Art wrote:<<I'm assuming the G2 requires the same remote shutter realease as the Contax SLRs, in which case it is electronic as opposed to mechanical>>

Nope... I have BOTH the G2 and the N1. The N1 has an electronic release, and I have the electronic release cord for that. The G2 has a standard, threaded, mechanical release port that is completely different from the electronic port on the N1.

There is no way a mechanical release would work on the N1's electronic port, and conversely, no way the electronic release cord would attach to the G2.

So I'm still stumped. I've used a generic shutter release cord on my G2 with good results, have shot several rolls since using it (doesn't seem to have adversely affected my camera) and still don't have an answer as to why they say not to use a generic shutter release..

anybody have Kyocera's number so I can call them? My camera shop has no idea why you can't use a generic cord..they've been using one all along.

Really Confused.
Jeff

G

Jeff,
You can contact Kyocera as follows on go in contaxcameras.com and find the e-mail customer service contact

Contax
Kyocera Optics Inc.
2301-200 Cottontail Lane
Somerset, NJ 08873

Keep us informed what you learn.

Howard