DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Do photographers posting here want honest feedback, or not?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What problem are you referring to?
Seems there’s a question about wether posters want (honest) feedback or not. This being questionable, looks like a problem for poster. But maybe the word “problem “ is too strong. If so, then I used the wrong word.

So what are you looking for then?
Usually, when I post an image, it's specifically to demonstrate some point, often technical. It's rare that I post an image for the image's sake, but sometimes I will. But usually, that's for something special like a lunar eclipse or something.

I mostly post images of things that interest me, typically these days nature photography. I do post-process and try to improve them but I'm much more interested in the subject than photographic perfection. Equally I'm more interested in the content of other people's photography rather than how or why they made the image. With an art school and architectural background I'd like to think I have a decent eye for composition and colour, and I've been doing photography for a long time, well over 50 years. Now if Tom Mangelsen, Steve Perry, Thom Hogan or a select few others would like to offer me some tips that would be fine, but otherwise it would be a waste of my, and their, time.

As far as I'm concerned, an explanation can be given of what can be improved on a photo in terms of photography and editing, but it should not be a barking explanation so that the photographer is left with a trauma.

In some forum there are groups and competitions where one can post an image and seek critique and suggestions. My view is that this would help here.

I am of the camp that the ONLY comments or critique I am interested in are those when I have requested such. Otherwise when I share images it is purely as examples to support the point I am making. It is my art and simply do not care what other folks' opinions are. So please save your breath.

I have a similar POV in relation to private messages -- if someone has something to say then say it in a forum do not use a PM to communicate with me - I won't read it.

In some forum there are groups where one can post an image and seek critique and suggestions. My view is that this would help here.

I am of the camp that the ONLY comments or critique I am interested in are those when I have requested such. Otherwise when I share images it is purely as examples to support the point I am making. It is my art and simply do not care what other folks' opinions are. So please save your breath.

I have a similar POV in relation to private messages -- if someone has something to say then say it in a forum do not use a PM to communicate with me - I won't read it.
I agree, about critiques but private messages can be very useful. I only ever use them very occasionally but they can be good for sharing information that you don't want, or don't need, the general forum public to see. I was on the old website for many years and became friendly with several members. We conversed about a few things with private messages that the other forum members would have no interest in.

18 yrs on DPR (several different forums and handles) and I can recall posting maybe 6 pics apart from challenge pics that I ever posted-and they were for a specific reason. Normal people don't blurt out critiques when someone posts a pic.. It just doesn't happen and anyone looking for photo advice will ask for it. The very fact that this topic has a thread and the op calls it "controversial" is ridiculous.

18 yrs on DPR (several different forums and handles) and I can recall posting maybe 6 pics apart from challenge pics that I ever posted-and they were for a specific reason. Normal people don't blurt out critiques when someone posts a pic.. It just doesn't happen and anyone looking for photo advice will ask for it. The very fact that this topic has a thread and the op calls it "controversial" is ridiculous.
“Hi bgreg, I don't think we've ever met but that shirt you're wearing is simply the wrong colour for you. And the pants, please, where did you find them? The shoes? Well the less I say about them...."

Silly, isn't it! :)

“Hi bgreg, I don't think we've ever met but that shirt you're wearing is simply the wrong colour for you. And the pants, please, where did you find them? The shoes? Well the less I say about them...."

Silly, isn't it! :)
I don't quite see it that way myself. If I put a photo up on a public forum I expect that I might get comments. Otherwise I'm not really sure why I'd be putting it up. 99 times out of 100 if there are any comments it's people saying that they like the photo, but I have no objection at all to constructive criticism like "nice shot, but it might look better if you cropped it to cut out that distracting object at the side" or "it looks like you've brought the shadows up too much. It would probably be better if you dialled back on the shadows slider a little". I'm always happy to take suggestions and learn from other people's experience.

I agree that "destructive criticism" is entirely unacceptable. "That photo's crap. What were you thinking?" There shouldn't be a place for that sort of comment.

David

Seriously though, I have nothing against positive criticism or comments, as long as they are wanted and welcomed. Some forums - bcgforum is one - have separate areas for presentation and critique, and while I think that would also be fine it would spoil the organization here that mirrors DPR and which I think everybody likes. So, I believe that if feedback is wanted it should be requested either in the post or in the poster’s profile or signature.

But, if criticism is provided where it is not wanted, the so-called experts, forum trolls and other numpties will be out in force and this forum will devolve into acrimony, at which point I can see a lot of folks leaving.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back