DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a spin-off of dpreview. We are a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. From smartphone to Medium Format.

DPRF is a community for everybody, every brand and every sensor format. Digital and film.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

DPR will live

Greetings
There is no going back. Everyone has spread out trying to find new sites that work for then. If DPR tried to come back no one would trust them. What do people want archives for anyway? I didn't know amazon owned DPR. Maybe this was just a reason to cut staff and reduce cost.
Oh well it is what it is.
Enjoy
Roger J.

Hi,

And now the shutdown has been delayed with no new date....

Stan

I wish I could download the archive and run it offline from my PC. I don't trust amazon anymore, cancelled my prime subscription and started buying things from B&H, if it is available there.
I pay for Prime for the streaming content as well as the free 1 and 2 day shipping. I will not cut off my nose to spite my face over the closing of DPR. I do buy from B&H but 95% of my Amazon purchases are for things not sold by B&H.

I went to https://www.dpreview.com, read the new closure announcement, started browsing the site, then it all stopped with

This page isn’t working right now​

If the problem continues, contact the site owner.

HTTP ERROR 429
Working for me. Error 429 usually happens when there are too many requests, like I had this error many times when I was trying to save the forum offline in my PC.

I pay for Prime for the streaming content as well as the free 1 and 2 day shipping. I will not cut off my nose to spite my face over the closing of DPR. I do buy from B&H but 95% of my Amazon purchases are for things not sold by B&H.
I agree
Roger J.

I think DPR realized they messed up. They realized they lost advertising $$$ and people had other site to go to. Now their trying to back peddle. Second thought they wanted to cut staff, and get rid of some people, and this was a way to do it, but they didn't realize the backlash and weren't prepared for what they got. To save face they are using the archive excuse to figure out which way to jump.
Food for thought
Roger J

I do not think that this will work. People are already spreaded everywhere and tested already the fruits on other sites. IMHO impossible to go back.

I could imagine that they try to find a way to have a public access for read-only longterm. Like an archive.
As fast as people found somewhere else to try, if someone were able/allowed to buy the site and it continued much as it is, most would go back IMO, including myself.

Back