DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Linear Polarizer and Lens Hoods

skeeton

Hello, does anyone know if it is ok to use a lens hood (GG-1) with a heliopan linear polarizer. I think i remember reading that contax advise not using hoods with their circular polarizers but am not 100% certain. I will be using the polarizer on the 35-70 zoom.

Shouldn't be a problem from a vignetting standpoint, and I can't imagine that whether the filter is a polarizer or not is an issue--there just needs to be adequate threading in front to mount the hood to, something that's not always there on a polarizer.

FWIW, the Gs don't require a circular polarizer, an inexpensive linear works fine as well.

--Rick

hi rick,

thanks for that input, i was worried about the possible vignetting. i do have a linear polarizer - the heliopan one i mentioned in the thread and the hoods screws into it just fine. i've not really used a polarizer before but i am in india at the moment and thought a polarizer would due justice to the incredible range of colours out here.

regards,

stuart

Back