DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Oil on blades

Hello forum,

I need your advise again. Having fallen for CZ finally but steeply, (partly because of this same forum), I have bid on a 28mm on Ebay and won. After wiring the money I recieved a message from the seller saying he discovered some oil on the aperture blades not previously noticed. I find it rather decent of him to tell me this. Now there are two solutions to this problem. The seller will refund my money if i want to or he will have the lens cleaned on his expense and send it to me afterwards allowing me a amount of time for inspection and the posibility the send the lens back if not satisfied. What would your advise be? Can someone tell my what the risks are of a cleaning job with respect to, lets say lens-allignement or, in general, with respect to being as sharp as it should be? Thanks for your advise

Jaap Jan

> If he's willing to pay to clean it, go for it. It's not a difficult job and any experienced camera repair shop can do it. The procedure is to dis-assemble the lens and clean everything, re lube the blades, and re assemble the lens in a dust free area. takes a competent repair person about two, maybe three hours to do. It's very hard to screw up a lens cleaning job, usual errors are getting dust in between the elements when reassembling it or using too much lube on the blades, but like I said, takes hard work to make those mistakes

I have a Zeiss 50mm AE that I had cleaned locally (US) and there was no problem. The grease had deteriorated and oiled the blades. I also had a Yashica ML 135mm done with the same results. I suppose it will depend on the individual repairmen. Mine appears to be quite good.

Lynn S.

Back