DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

News Nikon Z8

look at the press release on nikon.com usa there are easter eggs about planned firmware updates too.

I'm not sure about "half the bulk". Nikon claims that the Z8 is 30% smaller than a Z9 and 15% smaller than a D850, but here are Nikon's specs on each...

D850 - 32.3 oz, 5.8" W x 4.9" H
Z8 - 32.1 oz, 5.7" W x 4.7" H
Z9 - 47.3 oz, 5.9" W x 5.9" H

But of course, like other Nikon flagship cameras the Z9 has a built-in grip. If you add the MB-N12 to the Z8 the weight goes up by 10.5 oz without batteries, or 17oz with two batteries.
U r right, I was over-generalizing. It is slightly smaller than the D850 (which I don't own currently) and a shade bigger than the D500 (which I do own and wanna try to buy another one if I can before the existing new stock is gone in the USA.)

I've never had any of the Nikon "flagship" bodies (although I would try to argue that the D850 should be considered as a flagship camera.) I've always wanted to add a D3s to the stable if nothing else for nostalgic reasons...but hard to find them with shutter counts under 75K.

Doesn't matter, I guess, as after plunking down $4K yesterday, that's gonna be the end of my discretionary funds for quite some time ;) :D

For me, the big problem with the Z9 was always its size. So I bought the Z7ii because I wanted a second body (my other is a D500) as a 'walking about' camera. For my needs, the Z7ii is great as is the D500 which still has a few years left in it.

Word for word, substituting Z6ii for Z7ii, my thoughts exactly.
When my local camera store finally got Z9s in stock I tried it out (the demo lens they had on it was the Z 24-200mm) and absolutely LOVED it. Didn't love the price or the bulk, though. I seriously went back and forth on buying it, and decided to wait until the mythical unicorn aka Z90/Z500 (take ur pick) showed up.

That resolve went out the window yesterday.

As an aside, support your local camera store. As much as I love B&H, Hunt's, Allen's, and Adorama...sometimes it's better to pay just a little more to keep the local camera store from closing its doors.

Much like DPR..I think we take local camera stores for granted. They are great to have around...until they're not.

https://www.natcam.com/

That's my local, and I love the place.

U r right, I was over-generalizing. It is slightly smaller than the D850 (which I don't own currently) and a shade bigger than the D500 (which I do own and wanna try to buy another one if I can before the existing new stock is gone in the USA.)

I've never had any of the Nikon "flagship" bodies (although I would try to argue that the D850 should be considered as a flagship camera.) I've always wanted to add a D3s to the stable if nothing else for nostalgic reasons...but hard to find them with shutter counts under 75K.

Doesn't matter, I guess, as after plunking down $4K yesterday, that's gonna be the end of my discretionary funds for quite some time ;) :D
Nikon’s exaggerations notwithstanding I’m sure that the Z8 will be a terrific camera and I wish you good luck with it.

I‘m also thinking of a second D500 body although if I can find a new one I know it will be grey market and therefore Nikon won’t repair it if it’s ever needed. I am totally happy with my D500 with my 500 PF or 200-500 for birds, and I’m also happy with my older D7200 with a 16-80 on it for just about everything else. I have other lenses but rarely use them.

Of course when (if?) Nikon comes out with a pro quality DX Z camera as a replacement for the D500 I’ll be very tempted as long as I can get the purchase approved by the CFO….my very supportive wife.

Again, best wishes on your new camera.

Quite a nice looking camera that Zate. Just a pity that it doesn't have an optical view finder ;)

decided to wait until the mythical unicorn aka Z90/Z500 (take ur pick) showed up.

That resolve went out the window yesterday
Putting things in perspective, the Z8 in crop mode should yield a tad under 20MP, or just 1MP less than the D500.

If you do not need more than the D500 pixel count in crop mode, you can consider the Z8 as a 2-in-1 camera!

Putting things in perspective, the Z8 in crop mode should yield a tad under 20MP, or just 1MP less than the D500.

If you do not need more than the D500 pixel count in crop mode, you can consider the Z8 as a 2-in-1 camera!

Yes, that would make the Z8 even cheaper. Buy one and get two :z04-sabber:

I read this: https://www.nikon.com/company/news/2023/0510_mirrorless_01.html and did not see any easter eggs or any discussion about future firmware updates. Am I not reading between the lines correctly or is there a different press release?
It is in the Z8 press release on Nikon.com
The Nikon press release for the Z8 was clear -- it was launched with planned firmware updates in train -- "Upcoming features will be added in planned firmware updates, including an Auto Capture function, which will allow a photographer to automatically trigger a remote camera on user-set parameters. An update will also allow for the base ISO to be extended down to 200 when shooting video footage with N-Log enabled."

Back