DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

DP2Merrill & DP3Merrill 2018 in Hawaii

These are all external links.

If you upload images to our server directly, these will be visible also if you are not logged in.

Simply login and you will see everything.

If this is "too much work" for new users, they are not really interested in our forum and will very likely not participate in the future, even if they would register. We do not need inactive members, who visit every 10 years, just to claim we have x-registered users ;)

The Merrills love Hawaii light. Here's one RAW processed with minimal adjustments in SPP6.8.2. I've learned that in 'good light' the camera is a lot smarter than I am. Of course in 'bad light' everything is more complicated. I shot both cameras mostly at ISO125, I find slightly better results than ISO100. I've also used ISO160 with the Merrills, a nod to Laurence Matson's comments about ISO but I didn't go totally ISO200, especially in Hawaiian bright light.
SDIM4405 Sigma DP2Merrill Royal Hawaiian Lunch by Sandy Fleischmann, on Flickr

Link works if you click it, but photo failed to show up yet automatically
I have now com
The Merrills love Hawaii light. Here's one RAW processed with minimal adjustments in SPP6.8.2. I've learned that in 'good light' the camera is a lot smarter than I am. Of course in 'bad light' everything is more complicated. I shot both cameras mostly at ISO125, I find slightly better results than ISO100. I've also used ISO160 with the Merrills, a nod to Laurence Matson's comments about ISO but I didn't go totally ISO200, especially in Hawaiian bright light.

I have now begun processing our catamaran boat trip down the Kauai Na Pali coast. Spectacular scenery, DP2Merrill photos taken from the moving boat
SDIM4513 Sigma DP2Merrill Na Pali coast by sea by Sandy Fleischmann, on Flickr
Four Na Pali online at flickr, more to come

I have now com

I have now begun processing our catamaran boat trip down the Kauai Na Pali coast. Spectacular scenery, DP2Merrill photos taken from the moving boat
SDIM4513 Sigma DP2Merrill Na Pali coast by sea by Sandy Fleischmann, on Flickr
Four Na Pali online at flickr, more to come
Later in the afternoon trip along the Na Pali cliffs coast, the clouds and haze were moving in. The catamaran turned at the end of the trip and began the return to port. More Na Pali photos on my Flickr page. Then some clouded in views from the tops of the cliffs (a different day's trip)
SDIM4533 Sigma DP2Merrill Na Pali cliffs Kauai by Sandy Fleischmann, on Flickr

Later in the afternoon trip along the Na Pali cliffs coast, the clouds and haze were moving in. The catamaran turned at the end of the trip and began the return to port. More Na Pali photos on my Flickr page. Then some clouded in views from the tops of the cliffs (a different day's trip)
SDIM4533 Sigma DP2Merrill Na Pali cliffs Kauai by Sandy Fleischmann, on Flickr
Nice light and landscape. Leveling and a little more contrast I think they can go well.

Nice light and landscape. Leveling and a little more contrast I think they can go well.
Just FWIW I considered straightening, but did not on this photo as I did on many from the moving catamaran. Why not? I'm shooting at a great angle to the cliffs, to my rear. The sea actually appears at such an angle, rather than straight on to the cliffs. Second, cropping would eliminate or diminish the wake. One point of the photo, in my description, was that the boat had turned and was speeding back to port.

Just FWIW I considered straightening, but did not on this photo as I did on many from the moving catamaran. Why not? I'm shooting at a great angle to the cliffs, to my rear. The sea actually appears at such an angle, rather than straight on to the cliffs. Second, cropping would eliminate or diminish the wake. One point of the photo, in my description, was that the boat had turned and was speeding back to port.
Ok Sandy, thanks for the explanation.

I have many more Hawaii photos now online, after Na Pai cliffs by boat, onto a drive in the cloudy mountains, then a fern Grotto and touristy luau which was actually quite nice. We've been to many over the years, some better than others. LOL. More chicken photos too. Here's one of my favorites up in the mountains. Look at the magnified version at Flickr to see the detail of the hydrangea on the left.
SDIM4572 Sigma DP2Merrill Kauai mountain overlook by Sandy Fleischmann, on Flickr

Back