DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Contax T3

G

Thank you Niki-Tuan for the simple method of finishing a partially exposed roll. It's important to remember that a covered lens can't slow down the shutter speed (as in TTL metering) and make LT exposures!!

I have just acquired the filter adapter. It did not come with directions, obviously because mounting it is self-evident. Well almost. I aligned the white dots and gently applied pressure left and right but it does not snap in place, it just falls off the camera. I don't want to break the little tabs. Tips, please?
Thanks,
Jan

Jan,

Just align the white dots and gently turn the Adapter clockwise. It will stop with a detente at at about 1 o'clock. Remember when you screw a filter on top of the Adapter that you don't turn it too tight. Removing a filter from the Adapter can be difficult due to the small surface area.

I've shot B&W films - Ilford HP5 and XP2 Super - with B+W yellow and orange filters. Woohoo... This ain't your typical P-n-S. Awesome contrast and clarity!!!

Niki-Tuan,

I have to thank you as well! :)
What do you cover the lens with? What about black adhesive tape, or will it get in contact with the glass?

(I presently do not own a T3 to try it on my own, but this idiot "feature" makes it a lot more usefull to me!)

Hey Till,

The T3 comes with a factory leather case that has a big flap cover. The inside lining is a soft, fleece-like fabric. I use this flap to cover the lens... or any soft, light-proof fabric. I wouldn't use anything that is hard or can leave a residue.

If you already have an filter adapter with a filter, you can always buy a cheap 30.5mm screw-in type lens cover from B&H Photo.

Niki
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

By Till

Niki-Tuan,

I have to thank you as well! :)
What do you cover the lens with? What about black adhesive tape, or will it get in contact with the glass?

(I presently do not own a T3 to try it on my own, but this idiot "feature" makes it a lot more usefull to me!)

Niki,

thank you very much.
This seems to be a solution so that I can exchange rolls between my G2 and a Contax T!

Silly, that I did not hit on that on my own.

Niki-Tuan,
OK I've got it now. I'll be careful to not screw the filter on too tight. YAY! to yellow and orange filters. With filter and lens cap the T3 looks and feels so much less vulnerable. thanks,
Jan

I have a new T3, its cool.

One question. How is the normal sound of the electric motor getting out the lens. On my camera it is a lite bit strange.

CU

I've read and reread my manual, but human frailty seems to prevent me from completely understanding. Normally, when you half depress the shutter, does this lock in both the autofocus and the exposure? I'm hoping this is the case because that's how I've been shooting.

James Miller

CU,
My T3 makes sort of a warbling whir as the lens extends. I asked a Contax rep in San Francisco about it and he whipped out his demo and the sound was identical. I, of course, have not taken my T3 apart, but I suspect that there is a helically-cut gear that makes the odd sound. Good news is it's probably very durable.

Don't know if the lens itself travels on a helical gear, but if you open the camera back and turn the camera ON and OFF alternately, you can see the "helical-cut" barrel. Turn the camera upside down while switching it ON and OFF, you can see a gear turning.

Niki
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

By Charles Fralick:
"My T3 makes sort of a warbling whir as the lens extends. I asked a Contax rep in San Francisco about it and he whipped out his demo and the sound was identical. I, of course, have not taken my T3 apart, but I suspect that there is a helically-cut gear that makes the odd sound. Good news is it's probably very durable."

Back