DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Project 52, Week 18

BratPix

Not sure my post pertains to this forum, but here we go...

This Pentax Spotmatic SLR was photographed with a Pentax K70 digital camera. It is thus a family story. If its magnifying viewfinder is also a Pentax, its lens is due to Pierre Angénieux. It is a 28 mm retrofocus, a wide angle formula that leaves the mirror the space it needs to rise. See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Angénieux_retrofocus for the story, the principle and the influence of this legendary lens, one of the highlights of my photography museum ;)

imgp4599-3.jpg

I realize the historical value of your image is the Angéniex lens (and the magnifier viewfinder), but I must admit, staring at this wonderful portrait I notice the dial around the rewinder with "Panchro, Color, Empty" markings. I purchased an Asahi label Spotmatic while in Turkey, about 1968 and added 28, 50, and 85 Super Takumar lenses which I used until about 1973 when I replaced it all with a Canon F-1 system. Saying all this, I totally do not remember that reminder dial around the rewind. Just no recollection of having that... Did all Spotmatics have that?

Great picture of a great collectable.

I realize the historical value of your image is the Angéniex lens (and the magnifier viewfinder), but I must admit, staring at this wonderful portrait I notice the dial around the rewinder with "Panchro, Color, Empty" markings. I purchased an Asahi label Spotmatic while in Turkey, about 1968 and added 28, 50, and 85 Super Takumar lenses which I used until about 1973 when I replaced it all with a Canon F-1 system. Saying all this, I totally do not remember that reminder dial around the rewind. Just no recollection of having that... Did all Spotmatics have that?

Great picture of a great collectable.
Thank you RBIV. My first SLR was alo a Pentax (although not this one). There exists at least one variant of this reminder dial with a window where you can indicate the number of views nominaly possible with the film you have loaded. This window is surounded by the words Film on its left and ex on its right.

By the way, I was also in Turkey in 1968 and 1969. May be we have met...

Back