DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

A7RV, A7R3, aperture drive in af setting

ski542002

Hi: Even though some of the menu items in each of these two cameras are somewhat different, I'm trying to configure both to have similar actions when shooting PR projects, I use both cameras on a shoot.

On my RV, I purposely set "Aperture Drive in AF" to Focus Priority. I want the same setting on my A7R3. BUT, on the R3 the menu says, INVALID WITH THIS LENS. I use the Sony 85 1.8, the 24-70 F2.8 G Master, and the 70-200 F4 G Master for both cameras. WHY is this option available on the R5 but greyed out on my R3, using these Sony lenses?

Aperture Drive in AF (still image)​

You can reduce the sound from the aperture drive when shooting using a compatible lens.
This function can be used when the camera's system software (firmware) is Ver. 2.00 or later.

Above is from the a7R3 on-line manual. So, is the camera firmware Ver 2.00 or later?

Version​

Displays the version of this product’s software. Check the version when updates for this product’s software are released, etc.
Also displays the version of the lens if a lens compatible with firmware updates is attached.
The version of the Mount Adaptor is displayed in the lens area if a Mount Adaptor compatible with firmware updates is attached.
  1. MENU →
    s_menu_setup.png
    (Setup) → [Version].

Note​

• Updating can be performed only when the battery level is
    s_battery_3.png
    (3 remaining battery bars) or more. Use a sufficiently charged battery pack.

Aperture Drive in AF (still image)​

You can reduce the sound from the aperture drive when shooting using a compatible lens.
This function can be used when the camera's system software (firmware) is Ver. 2.00 or later.

Above is from the a7R3 on-line manual. So, is the camera firmware Ver 2.00 or later?

Version​

Displays the version of this product’s software. Check the version when updates for this product’s software are released, etc.
Also displays the version of the lens if a lens compatible with firmware updates is attached.
The version of the Mount Adaptor is displayed in the lens area if a Mount Adaptor compatible with firmware updates is attached.
  1. MENU →
    s_menu_setup.png
    (Setup) → [Version].

Note​

• Updating can be performed only when the battery level is
    s_battery_3.png
    (3 remaining battery bars) or more. Use a sufficiently charged battery pack.
Thanks for the confirmation. No my R3 is not updated to V2. I wish the update protocol for the R3 was as easy as the RV. But, it is something I will need to do in the next day or 3!

I'm just wondering what the difference is between the -7RM3 and the -7RM3A is? When I purchased the camera, I didn't ask for one or the other, because I didn't know there were 2 options.

The "a" version has minor hardware upgrades: a better LCD-screen, and if my memory is correct also has higher USB-C transfer specifications.
From a firmware perspective my guess is that A7RIII FW3.10 is code wise exactly the same as A7RIIIa FW 1.00 plus what ever change was needed to support the small hardware upgrades.

Why are you interested in the Aperture Drive in AF Focus Priority mode, what do you hope to achieve with it?

I've been doing so many tutorials on this camera to tweak the settings that I find most beneficial, I can't remember what the benefit is BUT, the video tutorial explaining the benefit(s) were very clear. I'll pull my saved video library on the R5 and send the link when I get reconnected later today, or tomorrow at the latest. Hopefully it'll make sense when you review it!

I found the video, and would suggest you watch the entire video as he has many great suggestions; I've subscribed to his channel. This specific issue is discussed right around the 5 minute mark. His solution harkens back to the day of no-auto-anything cameras. I'm an old guy and started shooting manual Canon bodies, beginning with the Canon TL back when I was in high school, and then gravitating to having 2, F1's and other FD-centric lenses/bodies.

I tested his solution in a fairly dark bathroom in my home. And it functions flawlessly. I now shoot a lot of architecture, product & corporate, but also shoot 20 weddings/year, and PR. This setting is pretty much a non-issue for everything but weddings and other PR situations where you're run-and-gunning in a dark environment; aiming to hit specific people, like a speaker at a seminar, or a bride/groom on a dance floor. It's a fantastic setting. I have 20 weddings beginning May 20 thru the end of October and will find this setting to be invaluable in a dark setting found all too often during an event.

An addendum. The only major drawback (if you want to call it that) to this setting is, you loose depth-of-preview simulations when shooting. BUT, to me you don't need that at all when shooting people in darker environments. I don't even use depth-of-field previews when I shoot product or architecture. They're not very visually accurate. For my architecture and product, when shooting tethered, I can shoot depth-of field/focus, on a large monitor while zoomed in to different areas in the image.

This site don't allow me to post links, so I answered you in the sonyalphaforum where you also posted the same question.

Back