CI Photocommunity

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

Contax N1 Mirror Lockup

P

phillipgeorge

A nice feature of the N1 that doesn't appear to be documented in the manual is the unique way in which the 2-second timer delay operates. The mirror locks up first, followed 2 seconds later by the shutter release. So, if you are caught without your cable release (or think that the mirror causes vibration in the 70-300 at 1/15 shutter speeds) you can capture a vibration-free shot using this method. Try it.

P

phillipgeorge

Just noticed that Dirk mentioned this feature in his opening post...

albert4321

Yes, the mirror lock-up feature in the 2 second timer delay is great. For me, it is faster that looking for and press a dedicated MLU button each time. I just set the 2 second timer delay in my N1 or C645, and shoot the entire photo session when vibration is a concern.

rico

Phillip,

This feature of the N1 is called mirror pre-fire and is present on the Canon D30. The Contax RTS III has MLU but no pre-fire, which gives a different photographic option:

Please, Log in or Register to view URLs content!

As Albert said, pre-fire is better than MLU during an extended shoot. An RTS III in that situation might benefit from an external finder, silly as that sounds!