DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Double-decker buses

Pete_W

DPRF-Patron Gold
This is a restored AEC Regent double-decker bus, formerly part of the NSW Government's Sydney bus fleet. Originally built in 1952, it was in service until 1976.

The bus is seen here on an outing in 2019 to celebrate the 80th anniversary of the Cronulla branch line.

Sydney Bus Museum Double Decker at Cronulla by Peter Watters, on Flickr

Here's another ex-NSW State Transit Authority double-decker bus. This one is a Leyland Titan OPD2. Over 300 of them were put into service in Sydney from around 1950.

This photo was taken at the Transport Heritage Expo in October 2022 outside Sydney's Central Railway Station.

Leyland double-decker at Central by Peter Watters, on Flickr

fullsizeoutput_449f.jpeg

Dangerous Double-decker Bus

When this bus comes around you have to duck so as not to get kicked in the head. LOL

Here's a rear-view shot of one the buses that I posted previously in this thread.

When these buses were in regular service, people running late to get their bus could be seen jumping on through the rear open entrance as the bus was pulling away from the kerb. And the bus conductor would usually be standing on the rear platform so could take the fare and hand out a ticket. Obviously it wasn't considered a safety problem back then! These days, no bus would have an open doorway and would not leave the kerb until the doors were closed and everyone was safely on board. And there are no bus conductors any more either!

Sydney Bus Museum Double Decker at Cronulla by Peter Watters, on Flickr

When I was living in London decade ago, it took me home nearly every day from Regent Street... .

Best of these type of bus is communters could get on/out of the bus anywhere. The conductor would usually keep a blind eye. Very very convenince. But therecwasxonce a time I moved too slow, the bus started before I landed. I was nearly tripped on the road!

This double decker is a Leyland Atlantean, built in 1973 for the NSW Public Transport Commission. It was one of the last double-decker buses to be put into service in Sydney.

This model was somewhat unreliable, and only served for about 6 years before being withdrawn. Thankfully two were kept for preservation and now are in the custody of the Sydney Bus Museum.

Photo was taken in June 2018.
P1060278_DxO-1.jpg
  • Panasonic - DMC-GX85
  • LUMIX G VARIO 12-60/F3.5-5.6
  • 17.0 mm
  • ƒ/5.6
  • 1/200 sec
  • Pattern
  • Auto exposure
  • ISO 200

When I was living in London decade ago, it took me home nearly every day from Regent Street... .

Best of these type of bus is communters could get on/out of the bus anywhere. The conductor would usually keep a blind eye. Very very convenince. But therecwasxonce a time I moved too slow, the bus started before I landed. I was nearly tripped on the road!
Yes, when I was young I used to watch people hurrying and jumping on the rear platform as the bus pulled away from the kerb. I always thought it looked cool, and tried it a few times myself. I've had a few rides on these old buses now that they are in preservation and they won't even let passengers stand on the rear platform while the bus in in motion. Safety rules have changed a lot.

Back