DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Two More Bodies Will Be Announced in 2023

That depends on how long you are willing to wait and whether you are willing to buy second hand to make it even cheaper. I almost bought my old Nikon D800 back, because I could have had one for 400 Euro with less than 10.000 actuations.

Of course.

Personally I'm not in the market for a FF body. As primarily a nature and bird photographer I want the extra reach that DX gives me. For a few years now I've been very happy with my D500/500PF combo but a newer, better, pro DX body would interest me at the right price.

The two "imaginary" cameras that would get my attention; A full-frame Zf to go with my Df, or a Monochrome Nikon. The latter- maybe some time in the future Nikon will do this, as the Pentax camera is selling many more than the company thought it would. Nikon did a Prototype DF-M, as per the Nikon sales rep telling me on a "Nikon Day" at the local shop. The CMOS sensor used in the D4 and Df was made in both color and monochrome, the latter used in their full-frame microscope camera. Nikon put one into a Df. SO- it is something they have thought about.

Until then- happy with the Z5, sold one of my F3HP bodies with MD-4, fully paid for it. First lens used with it, Canon 50/0.95. Turnabout, my Nikkor 5cm F1.5 came on a Canon III. Spent 20 years finding one, about 300 made.

That's good, but to me, they have enough bodies for now. What they need is to fill in their lens catalog a bit better.

How about a proper pancake prime lens, like the Limited ones that Pentax made? How about a slow, but high quality 70-300 zoom with VR? (Currently, only Tamron makes one for Z mount)

I agree about filling out the lenses, but they don't have a pro quality mirrorless body in their line up. And they only offer 4 DX Z mount lenses.

I would love to have an Z DX 50/2.0 FF equivilant with excellent image quality for my Nikon Zfc. Small and light in a classy look that it looks good with the Zfc.

I would love to have an Z DX 50/2.0 FF equivilant with excellent image quality for my Nikon Zfc. Small and light in a classy look that it looks good with the Zfc.
Or... a FF Zf where the 28/2.8 and 40/f2.0 already exist in SE form ??

Or... a FF Zf where the 28/2.8 and 40/f2.0 already exist in SE form ??

I have both. In my view they are optically not good enough. Additionally, a fullframe Zf would be even bigger than the Zfc. I do not "need" fullframe, although I have it. APC-C is totally fine with me. Even MFT is enough for me.

The bigger Z mount makes it easier for Nikon to design excellent lenses cheap, but at the same time it makes the camera with lens very big in your hands. Compared for eaxample to Sigma L-Mount lens sizes.

The sensor size is atm not what counts for me. I use fullframe, APS-C and MFT. It is the size and system choice for specific use cases.

So, the new Nikon Z8 is basically a mirrorless FF D850 replacement with the price of the body at $4K, compared to the D850's $2.5K.

Nikon Z8.jpg

That makes sense for Nikon, and it certainly looks impressive, but it's not what I want.

And, if you add the optional NB-N12 battery pack/grip then the size differences become significantly less.

Last edited:
That makes sense for Nikon, and it certainly looks impressive, but it's not what I want.

It looks like Nikon's marketing split the difference between the Z7II and Z9 price. The Z8 is $1,500 more than the Z7II and $1,500 less than the Z9. Elegant symmetry, if nothing else :LOL: .

That may leave room for a potential Z7III around $3,000. Who knows...

Interestingly, all of Nikon's APS-C cameras are now sub-$1,000 and their Z5 entry level Full Frame marks the border between DX and FF, at about $1,000.

I still hope Nikon is planning on a DX pro-grade body with a 24-26MP stacked sensor. If they can sell a Z50 at much less than $1,000 they should be able to sell such a camera between $2,000 and $2,500.

Luckily, dreaming costs nothing!

Back