DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Contax ND

Hi Michael, Regardless of what rechargable battery you use it must be charged and discharged 4 or 5 times to build the capacity of charge. Once this is done the battery can hold a full charge ie 1800Ma or 2000Ma. Ni-Cd batteries have the memory effect and Ni-Mh do not they are much better but only after 4 or 5 full charges then they are set up. Bob.

Robert put it succintly. My Powerex batteries and charger arrived today from Thomas Distributing, so I've started cycling those now.

NOT ALL CFs ARE CREATED EQUAL ...

I was able to compare write speeds between Kingston (yellow motif with small red oval "High Speed" logo) and Lexar 24x CompactFlash cards. The Lexar takes 17.5 seconds to save an 18MB TIFF, the Kingston takes 32 seconds. Test was done with AC adapter, and measuring time between burst trigger after the buffer was full. Drive mode was set to Continuous, focus to manual and speed set to manual 1/500.

Cheers,

DJ

I saw somebody posted a question about magenta cast in RAW images after opening in Photoshop. It is not a problem at all, and it is all thanks to a wierd Kodak created colour profile assigned to RAW images in-camera. THis profile is fully compatible with Adobe RGB in terms of colour gamut, so all you have to do is to open the file in Photoshop WITHOUT converting to the working profile, then go to image > mode > assign colour profile and assign Adobe RGB 1998.

Irakly,

Many shots I take with the ND look fine in review mode. The exposure information looks appropriate (i.e. sunny 16 rule ... asa 100 = 1/100th at f16). But when I open it in the image software (PhotoRecall), it looks dark. I am easily able to brighten it up and up the contrast w/ no loss of detail. But I have to do this to a lot of exposures. Is this profile my problem. I am using a profile associated w/ my monitor.

Thanks,

michael.

>

no, the camera underexposes, i have permanently set the expos comp dial to +.75

> But, if it is underexposing then:

1 - Why does the exposure information look appropriate for the scene? 2 - does the LCD review look great, but when they get to the computer they look unerexposed?

And if your setting the EC to +.75 then what do you do when you use a flash? Because my experience has been overexposures w/ a flash. But, my flash has been giveing me some problems and has been sent for repair.

Thanks,

michael.

>

1) the lcd view is not be used for exposure but just for focusing/framing issues- this is for all digi cams

2) have used flash but once or twice with the ND!

Irakly,
Thanks for the magenta cast solution!!!! The question is.....where did the kodak profile come from???? I thought RAW images are "UNtagged"?????
Bert

Hello All,

I have been following this forum for a few weeks and despite the negatives, I cannot resist the lure of the Zeiss lenses and convenience of digital technology. Tomorrow I will be receiving my Contax ND and accessories. As this is my first foray into digital, and really my first time getting serious again about photography since my kids were born 16 years ago, I have a few questions I hoped you could answer to jump start my adventure. Please ignore the fact that as a non-professional photographer, I am spending the equivalent of my kids first year of college tuition on my hobby. Some things can't be helped.

Here are my general questions:

Firewire - Is it best for me to get a firewire card for my computer, or will other options be fine (such as a firewire to SCSI adapter or a compact flash reader with a USB connection)? Believe it or not, I am contemplating getting a new computer altogether that I will dedicate as my digital darkroom. Is that the norm for all of you?

Software - I have a CD of Photoshop 6, but my son tells me it is for file manipulating only and does not provide a good tool for organizing files. If so, can you recommend software that is best for managing photo files?

Printers - I am not ready for this investment just yet, but my plan is to print 11x17 or possibly larger for framing. What direction should I begin investigating for printers?

That's it for now. Thanks so much for your help. Hopefully I will be sharing some positive experiences with you real soon.

Diane

Back