DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Contax T3

I'm unable to find a store in the US that sells a 30.5mm screw lens cap (non-Contax brand)for the T3. B&H won't have any for several months; Tamarkin doesn't sell them. Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Thanks, Niki. I immediately called B&H. The representative I spoke to this time found one in stock!

Many thanks.

Just to drop in and tell everyone I decided to go with the T3. Wow! What sharpness even over my nonL eos line of lenses..super! Would've preferred the zoom, but didn't want to sacrifice to get it, and the 35mm is a workable length for most work I like to shoot.

One thing...I'm heading to Europe in the spring and want to carry a tripod I can stuff in a pocket and lightweight. Pref. less than a lb. Found Cullman Mini Tripod (its minimum height 12.2" (31cm), and its maximum height 32.2" (82cm). It weighs only 19 oz. (540g).) or the real small Gitzo table tripod 0012 that only goes to 18" but folds to 9.8" and weighs only .9lb. I have a Gitzo 1224 and Arca Swiss ball for heavier uses if needed. Anyway, I'd love to hear any other tripods I should consider with the T3 and easy to carry being a priorty. I plan to shoot streets/architecture and touristy shots of us around Paris and Amsterdam.

Thanks again for helping me thru this process,

Chris

Adding to Chris's email, I am expecting my T3 this Thursday. I went with the T3 for the same reason. I spent a month in Viet Nam and Cambodia carrying my Cannon A2 with a 28 mm to 135 mm zoom. I found that many times I just did not want to have that heavy load (about 2.65 Lbs.) around my neck, so I went out without the camera.

However, one fact to keep in mind about tripods. If you only take carry-on luggage (like I do), airport security may consider the tripod a potential weapon and not allow it in your carry-on luggage.

As a reply to Chris: I have the Gitzo tabel tripod. It is veryb stable and allows quite high loads. I use it with a T2, a G2, a Nikon Coolpix 5000, and a Minolta SLR and small lens.
It is not cheap though (about 60 US$)and you will have to buy an applicable ball head. Look at the Gitzo site for a small but nice ball head, they have quite some choice. Overall it may be an investment of about 100US$, but its worthwhile.

Peter

[What has the best color rendition, sharpness and overall print film = quality amongst the T2, T3 and Leica minilux?]

Matt,
I have found that Kodak 160VC works great in the T series of Contax camera's.
Geo.

Thanks for the reply Peter. I like that tripod alot, but the fact it only goes to 18" is a bit too low for practical street use. Think I'll try the Cullman despite me eyeing the Gitzo 1028 carbon model.min length is 17.7". Much taller and sturdier I'm sure, but just too long to carry all day when the whole purpose was to find something real portable for the T3. Thanks for the discussion as I personally think tripods are a real nice insurance to sharp photos..esp. compared to me trying to control my shaking lol

Chris

Velbon Maxi 343E Mini Tripod with Ball Head (extends to 62" folds to 17.5", weighs 1.9 lbs and supports 8 lbs) is very good. But this may be too long, or too heavy by your requirement.

Vajirune
Bangkok, Thailand

Back