DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

The 43 Retro (Part I): For Discerning Users Who Still Love Their 43 Gear

Craig

Camera: OLYMPUS E-5
14 mm, 1/80 sec, f/10, ISO 200, -1 EV
3,024 × 4,032 (12.2 MP)

Zuiko 14-35mm f/2.0 lens.
PC262601.jpg

Thank you for the sharing of them.

Surely a lovely place to visit.

To my curious, while beyond f/8 would have diffraction kicking in for M43, would the same happen to FT system since they using the same standard of sensor?

Diffraction is dependent on the diameter of the aperture- starts kicking in at ~3mm opening. Typically, the focal length/ F-Stop, but can be controlled by the placement of the aperture in the light path. If the optics spread out the image at some point- might be a good place for the aperture.

Thank you for the sharing of them.

Surely a lovely place to visit.

To my curious, while beyond f/8 would have diffraction kicking in for M43, would the same happen to FT system since they using the same standard of sensor?
Generally, you should notice less diffraction in the DSLRs because they had smaller number of megapixels (5 for the E-1 through 12 for the E-5) than today's Olympus/OM micro 4/3rds cameras (either 16 or 20 megapixels). Using the calculator at https://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials/digital-camera-sensor-size.htm the diffraction for 4/3rds and micro 4/3rds sensors is:

5 megapixels (i.e. E-1)f/13.1
10 megapixels (i.e. E-3)f/9.3
12 megapixels (i.e. E-5, E-P1/E-P2)f/8.4
16 megapixels (i.e. E-5 mark II, E-m10 mark III)f/7.3
20 megapixels (i.e. OM-1. OM-5, E-m5 mark III, E-m1 mark III, E-m1x. E-m10 mark IV)f/6.5

Now, this is only the theoretical estimate for when diffraction starts being visible. In practice, you can typically go 1-2 stops beyond that.

Generally, you should notice less diffraction in the DSLRs because they had smaller number of megapixels (5 for the E-1 through 12 for the E-5) than today's Olympus/OM micro 4/3rds cameras (either 16 or 20 megapixels). Using the calculator at https://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials/digital-camera-sensor-size.htm the diffraction for 4/3rds and micro 4/3rds sensors is:

5 megapixels (i.e. E-1)f/13.1
10 megapixels (i.e. E-3)f/9.3
12 megapixels (i.e. E-5, E-P1/E-P2)f/8.4
16 megapixels (i.e. E-5 mark II, E-m10 mark III)f/7.3
20 megapixels (i.e. OM-1. OM-5, E-m5 mark III, E-m1 mark III, E-m1x. E-m10 mark IV)f/6.5

Now, this is only the theoretical estimate for when diffraction starts being visible. In practice, you can typically go 1-2 stops beyond that.

Thank you for the info.

I once loved to use the info from Cambridgeincolour but after those unexplained complained by few DPR members who sounded to know more than most, stopped to take reference from it.

You have remind me of the relationship between circle of confusion vs pixel size.

Thank you again.

Back