DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Is a new ND around the corner

The TLA360 performs almost perfectly with the N1 and C645 even in slides, regardless in TTL or A mode, fill flash or what not. I had trouble with it at first, but Marc gave me some hints (see different thread, I forget which one) Most cases, lowering the shutter can achieve the fill flash result since it does not affect the aperture and flash output, but allow more ambient light to be exposed. I shot 1/15 in a huge banquet hall and my close subject exposed evenly. I tend to set my camera to manual mode and set the flash in TTL.

For the ND, it is a different story. It gives me a reason to shoot films for important shots. You better off to use flash in Manual mode. However, A is still better than TTL. It has nothing to do with the TLA360 flash, I found that also true for the 10d with the 550EX or using the quantum flash. I hope the canon eTTL II address the flash problem for dSLR.

Michael,
You have to have the camera on manual and the flash on auto.....works great everytime!!!!! check my first message for set up.

I found this on a chinese forum:
http://forum.cameraunion.net/showthread.php?threadid=244946&pagenumber=1

A couple of posts down, I notice mention of a 11.8MP ND mkII (using 2 CCDs????) and a NXD with 8.2mp and APS-C sized sensor.
Well, the booth will certainly see me as visitor.
I haven't seen anything on any contax site yet..

there's also a mention of a G3 .. and loads of lenses, and an RTS4 and AX2 .. okay, this might go a bit far..

I hope it's not just blabla..

Is it Chinese April Fool's there now? Actually I'm going to China in January and would like a new digital body by then - maybe this is a sign?

DJ
Will only lose hope on the last day of Photokina

I just came back from London and Paris. I took my ND and 24-85 lens. It worked fine for my personal use. Just need to bring a lot of batteries and a charger.

Sure, for $7999, the EOS 1ds mark II would be nice. But generally, I prefer to shoot with the Zeiss lenses and deal with the limitation of the camera. There was no limitation really (for vacation stuff and studio shoots) since I don't need the speed and huge prints.

But for event, it is a different story.

I took the ND out for a pre-fall shoot at one of the nearby wildlife preserves. I had three sets of 2200 MAh Powerex batteries which I always leave trickle-charging, each set in their ND holder. The first set lasted about 23 shots before it showed dead. I did the old (getting REAL old) remove the clip, reinsert it and restart, and got another 14 or so. I then moved to the next clip, and got around 30 before I had to start the shuffle again, and so on.

All in all to get the 100 or so shots I ended up taking I had to go through all three clips, one of which would give no more no matter how you tried to coax it. That same same set of batteries had no problem lighting a flashlight nice and bright when I got home. Go figure. It must be some very high instant demand at the start of the shooting cycle. But it's not the kind of experience you want in the middle of irreplaceable travel conditions.

It looks like Canon will be getting my business, sad as I am about it. But that's a couple of months away ... who knows what can happen? The Leica was tempting for a moment, but not without a full-sized sensor, plus it sounds like there are some edge area compromises, all in order to accommodate the existing film gate. Sounds like a great thing if you already own an R9 though.

The Mamiya ZD medium format digital is another intriguing possibility, but weight and bulk might be an issue for my travel requirements. OK, I used to lug a Fuji GX-680 system around but I was somewhat younger way back when
biggrin.gif
. It will be interesting to compare results between the 1Ds Mk II and the ZD, particularly in the tonal range and noise areas, where you would expect the larger ZD sensor would help. I think at this range the 22 vs. 16 MPxl is not as big a deal for many applications.

I talked to one of the Kyocera/contax reps at the contax booth, and asked him about the ND. since it was still in the display, I asked if it was available. He said only on special order, which probably means old stock. when I asked if there was going to be a successor his answer was a firm "no". Of course, he was from contax germany, he may not know everything that is going on in japan. But I sense a move that means that the contax make will be "degraded" to luxury design compact cams, and no longer photographers tools. i noticed many "old school" contax users complaining to reps about the status of the name, etc.

I think we should forget about an ND2 and a G3D.. it won't become a reality anytime soon, I guess.

Marco

What a pity. Contax has made such terrific products for such a long time it is kind of a joke that they will only be known for small point and shoot digitals.

Incredible. >

Incredible and unforgiveable. Kyocera is the pits of customer and brand management. There should be a law they could be taken to justice by. There should be the equivalent of the public stalks that suspected witches and adulterers used to be placed in for all to see their shame
sad.gif

I hope somebody for Kyocera reads this, but it can be safely assumed that they avoid this forum like the very plague they are.

I guess I'm not following my mother's advice that if I have nothing nice to say, I should say nothing
biggrin.gif

So what happens to the price of the cameras we have now? Will the price go up, stay the same or go down? Personally if you want my G2 black kit plan on paying a premium price. Dave

Back