CI Photocommunity

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

Contax RTS mirror trouble

lorenzodalsanto

Hi,two weeks ago i bought a Contax RTS,when it arrived i noticed that the mirror is locked up.The "mirror lock" lever is in the correct position (vertical).
Obviously i can't see trough the finder and i can't shoot.
Can you help me please?

I noticed also that when i mount a lens it works "stop down"

biggles3

CI-Supporter
I'm afraid that sounds pretty terminal unless you can still wind on. Sometimes an old RTS (or similar camera) if stored over a long period can end up with the mirror stuck to the damper but that is easily dislodged. It sounds like your camera failed to complete a full cycle of the shutter. You may be able to shift it by removing the base plate and seeing if you can short the contact with the magnet - that can sometimes free up a part-cycled shutter. I'm pretty sure I've seen images of an RTS that's been opened at the base plate, showing you how to free a shutter/mirror; it should be worth Googling. Certainly the old Kyphoto camera repair site covered this and the archives have been added to one of the many user forums.

I'm sorry I didn't spot your message earlier as your obvious course of action would have been to get your money back from the seller as the camera is not fit for purpose.