CI Photocommunity

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

Contax RTS2 light seals

gchin

Hello all,

I just got a rts2 to join my 167mt, aria and RX.
Being the oldest Camera, it's in surprising good shape, except for the light seals. I was brushing the dust out of the seals like on my other contax (all bought 2nd hand except for the aria) and the seal material came out - just little tiny bits. The large seals are gummy to the touch. Does any body have any bits tips for a DIY project and the materials needed for such a project? How much does a pro job cost?

Any advice will be appreciated.

Cheers, Gil

bobbl46

See Contax User Forum » Contax SLR C/Y-mount » Yashica bodies - C/Y mount » Yashica FR-II / FR-I

for instructions!

Cheers, Kyocera Kid.

alexw

I've had seals replaced on a 139Q and 2 RTS bodies - they fall to bits after about 20 years - and I've paid about 15 GBP each time from my local dealer. They even re-covered the 139 for me.

Well worth it for another 20 years with a bit of luck.

Cheers

Alex

pickle

I did the job myself on my RTSII just recently. I camera dealer friend gave me some of the foam, which has a self-adhesive backing which you peel the paper off. It's very fiddly to do the bit where the mirror flicks up, in front of the focusing screen, but the other bits were easy. As Alex says, hopefully that has given several more years of life to my beloved camera!

Mark

D

dja

...I just got a rts2 to join my 167mt, aria and RX.
Being the oldest Camera, it's in surprising good shape, except for the light seals. I was brushing the dust out of the seals like on my other contax (all bought 2nd hand except for the aria) and the seal material came out - just little tiny bits. The large seals are gummy to the touch. Does any body have any bits tips for a DIY project and the materials needed for such a project? How much does a pro job cost? ...

I was able to do this work myself using a combination of sources. There is a guy in Canada who is an authorized source for Contax parts. (I believe he was banned from the forum for hawking his products. I may have the name if needed.) The kit he sold me had good bits for the mirror stop and film door hinges, but the top and bottom channel material was junk. This material I found from an Ebay source and it was excellent. Sized perfectly to fit the channels without the need for adhesive.

If may still have his info too, if needed.

David