DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Contax Digital in YC Mount

D

dja

>>Posted on Wednesday, July 23, 2003 - 2:54 pm:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

GOOD NEWS(MAYBE)I got the feeling from my conversation with Contax that there might be
a Contax Digi 35mm body that will take the Y/C mount-Lets hope!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

larry <<

Sorry, can't let that go so easily...Can you share any specifics? What leads you to comment on this possibility?

Dave

Sorry to knock the N mount, but it's going nowhere - fast. Lenses are huge and slow to focus: is this really an implementation of Canon USM? Even by Contax standards, prices are unreasonable. Unless Kyocera can engineer a monumental advance in AF technology, pros and consumers alike will buy Canon, Nikon, Minolta, or Pentax. Reality bites.

That leaves the C/Y product line: known quality, many affordable items, and an installed customer base.

The 35mm SLR market is crowded and entrenched. The associated DSLR market is hot, and getting hotter. Contax, with a pitiful, thin product stream and zero advertizing, will never break into the mainstream. Like its historical Leica rival, Contax is boutique. Kyocera may have technology, factories, and $14,000,000,000 market cap, but customers won't eat the dog food.

Therefore, I believe a C/Y DSLR can succeed as a low-volume boutique offering: complete with 2nd-tier sensor, 2nd-tier software, and no customer support whatsoever. Contax simply has nothing else to offer the world.

Now, call me a fool and a Zeissaholic, but I'm ready to pay for this DSLR. Contax can take heart that Leica has announced a digital back for R camera. From a tiny company, this is a big financial bet, and means Leica believes a few well-heeled lunatics want an SLR with real manual focus, digital sensor, and quality construction.

I would agree completely. I just bought the Canon ds1 but would keep = my Zeiss C/Y's if this were a reality ----- Original Message -----=20

Please count me among your "few" well-heeled lunatics who want an SLR with real manual focus, digital sensor, and quality construction. We love our (painfully expensive) Zeiss lenses, and want to take them with us into the next (ultimately digital) life.

But one uncertainty is whether lens design will change so much to optimize a digital sensor, that our hopes are misguided? The idiosyncrasies of wide-angle lenses excepted, will our precious old lenses still offer exceptional performance with a digital sensor? Any expert opinions on this matter?

Interesing ! > >More details, please ! > >Yuri

hundreds of people must open your non-sense message. why are we here? to read more. and we will see more when its available.

Now, call me a fool and a Zeissaholic, but I'm ready to pay for this >DSLR. Contax can take heart that Leica has announced a digital back >for R camera. From a tiny company, this is a big financial bet, and >means Leica believes a few well-heeled lunatics want an SLR with real >manual focus, digital sensor, and quality construction.

digital leica will have a small chip, lens-factor will be x1.7 or similar

While we on this subject how about a digital back for existing C/Y bodys with a couple of digital only wide angles(17mm&13mm) with less coverage for the digital sensor(to help keep the price down) as I think it is imposible to use a full size sensor with this mount.
John

>Posted by david willson on Thursday, July 24, 2003 - 2:55 am: > >Please count me among your "few" well-heeled lunatics who want an SLR >with real manual focus, digital sensor, and quality construction. We >love our (painfully expensive) Zeiss lenses, and want to take them >with us into the next (ultimately digital) life. > >But one uncertainty is whether lens design will change so much to >optimize a digital sensor, that our hopes are misguided? The >idiosyncrasies of wide-angle lenses excepted, will our precious old >lenses still offer exceptional performance with a digital sensor? Any >expert opinions on this matter?

I have no expert opinion to offer, just what I have heard from Olympus since the beginning of their digital offerings, and from some other companies.

They say that digital image sensors do not respond well to light hitting the sensor at angles other than 90 degrees. Olympus was the first, now followed by others, to include a final element with rectified this problem. It seems to have to do with the fact that the 4 light sensors which make up a pixel at the focal plane (GGRB) are in a slight indentation.

Maybe this has changed, maybe it's all marketing. We do know that digital sensors have been used in home video cameras for a long time and no one has complained.

This same argument has been used in favor of the Foveon sensor, but there have been criticisms about that sensor also.

http://www.businesstoday.com/HiasysTools/PrinterFriendly.bg/www.bostonherald.com/business/technology/ap_bizcamera0324200 2.htm

It would indeed be nice if we could use our nice Y/C lenses in a system with an angle-independent sensor.

DAW

Back