DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Details of the G2 centre weighting metering

Hi Wilson,

> Thank you for posting that link again.

You're welcome.

> ...if the > plot is not reversed to allow for the actual image on the negative > being upside down.

I believe the meter pattern would be based on the image in the viewfinder.

> Have you any idea > which way up the image is?

I'd say it's a viewfinder image plot. But, your question is certainly a good one. If anyone finds out differently, I'd like to know.

Regards,

Austin

Austin: According to the graph you posted, perhaps the boundary of the centre-weighted metering would be useful? (ie. where is starts and/or ends) >

Do SLR's show the metering patterns in the viewfinder? They may indicate whether you are using spot or evaluative or centre weighted but surely they don't show it on the screen or do they? I don't think that my Aria and RX do.
John

if someone really wanted to get a good idea, replicating the graph as a 3d color graph (or a graph like an elevation chart) and then looking at it full scale in the viewfinder would tell you a lot. scott

> "Posted by John Strain (Jsmisc) on Friday, November 28, 2003 - 7:44 pm: Do SLR's show the metering patterns in the viewfinder? They may indicate whether you are using spot or evaluative or centre weighted but surely they don't show it on the screen or do they? I don't think that my Aria and RX do."

Hi John:

I'm not familiar with Contax Aria and RX as I use Nikon SLR's (AF and MF) - but i can imagine that most SLR's of various makes would have some reference circle in the viewfinder to indicate the centre-weighted metering area. In Nikon's case it would be a 12mm diameter reference circle right smack in the middle of the viewfinder to indicate which part is sensitive to the centre-weighted metering. This is useful to zoom into a particular area where you want to meter (eg. a human face), lock exposure, zoom out to capture environment/background. There is also a smaller ref circle (3mm or 5mm, i forget) for spot metering as well. And there are a separate LCD indicators (in the viewfinder and top plate) for whichever metering mode you are using also.

Regards, another John.

Hello John,
The Aria and the RX do not have reference circles as such although the spot meter measures, according to both the Aria and the RX handbooks, "only the brightness of the subject in the centre of the viewfinder (microprism area) to determine the exposure value. Its applicable area is within the outer circle in the centre of the viewfinder".
Regards,
this John

Back