CI Photocommunity

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

Contax RXII

dirk

CI-Founder
As of today Kyocera announces the successor of the RX on the Kyocera website.

The new model is called RX II, will cost around 132.000 YEN and will be on Sale (in Japan I guess) from November 5th on.

Here the picture of the RX II:

This is the link to the page:

Please, Log in or Register to view URLs content!

More news to come...

Dirk

G

Thank you Dirk,

I'm not very familiar with the present RX; are there any significant differences beyond the deletion of the focusing assistance and the DOF readout in the RXII?

Also, on the Kyocera page there's a notation for an Aria D. What does the D designate, and why is it so much more costly than the standard Aria.

--Rick

G

Rick,

Just speculation, but Aria D being much more expensive than Aria, surely this has to be Digital Aria!!! A digital solution for the MF lenses! Now that's news! Also thought I saw a reference to an RTSIV, difficult to tell with that translation, but two highly significant developments in Kyocera's continuation in it's MF line!!!

Rick wrote:

"Also, on the Kyocera page there's a notation for an Aria D. What does the D designate, and why is it so much more costly than the standard Aria."

Art (Sorry if this is in wrong thread!)

dirk

CI-Founder
Arthur,

when I was in Japan in July this year, there was already the Aria D in every prospectus, so it must be the Databack.

If you look at the price difference between Aria and Aria D (ca. 40%), this sounds alo more like the databack. A Digital Aria would be a lot more expensive.

Rick,

this webpage is all I know. I was VERY surprised by this introduction. One of my sources told me already this summer, that there would be a new RX, but on the Photokina EVERY Contax person told me that this would not be true.

So either there is a Kyocera Japan, which is not communicating with the rest of the world, which seems not to be very smart, or Contax bluffed on the Photokina, which would be even worse.

I do not want to know how many people already bought a different system just within the last 4 months because of the uncertain future of the manual focus system.

For me this is playing with a fire which you can not control later on.

Dirk

G

> Could you tell us a web address where we can see the RX II? I looked at Kyocera-America and it had nothing about this new release. Then again, they do have a weird way of displaying their products, the NX, after being out for so long still only has a press release on the site (and pictures).

G

Go the forum and look in this thread. there you find the link and the photo...

G

From the various translations of the release it appears that the RXII is simply the RX but without the DFI. This gives a 20% increase in brightness in the viewfinder but, other than that, I don't see too much that would make me scrap my original RX in favour of the RXII. Still, it is good to see Contax supporting the manual focus line.

G

> > So either there is a Kyocera Japan, which is not communicating with the rest of the world, which seems not to be very smart, or Contax bluffed on the Photokina, which would be even worse. There may be another reason: The camera might have been not ready.

G

Dear Dirk, Thanks so much for this very interesting and intrieging information on the RXII. Is there any possibility that it will be a digital RX, one that accepts CZ manual focus lenses? That would be a great thing. I bought my RX for a number of reasons, one chief one is the DFI -- the RXII -- if it is a film camera would have to blow me away before I give up on my RX, which to me is the best camera I have ever had the pleasure to use. Thanks, Vincent.

G

Arthur, is there a RTSIV link? Could you elaborate more on that? I am interested in RTSIV very much.

G

i would like to have an electronic bubble-level in contax IV which beeps when not leveled. i am very doubtful kyocera giving up the c/y-series. there are tto much custemers who will not convert to the n-system and would like to have an rtsIII-improvement. what are your wishes?

G

I think I made the right move by purchasing a nice used RX about 10 days ago. I was somewhat sceptical that Kyocera would actually come out with an RXII after nothing appeared at Photokina. So I took the plunge and bought my RX. Now that there is an RXII, it does not have the feature that, to me, makes the RX unique -- the DFI indicator. I have found this to be very helpful along with the focus confirmation indicator. I'm getting used to the RX's size and weight in comparison to the Aria. The latter, nevertheless, will remain as my preferred travel companion.

G

Meryl stated in a message on 10-26-02 that the RXII is simply an RX without the DFI and that this gives a 20% increase in brightness in the viewfinder. I am not sure I agree with this. Can someone explain? I for one, really like the DFI feature.

Ron in NM

dirk

CI-Founder
FYI

I checked with Kyocera in Japan:

The new RX II does neither have mirror lock up (also not via 2 sec. selftimer) nor matrix metering. Only Spot and CW metering. So it looks like the RX II is really the normal RX without the DFI.

Availablity in the shops was announced for November. But I guess this was meant for Japan only, since the production will probably not deliver enough bodies for worldwide delivery right from the beginning.

hope that helps

dirk

G

>As far as I can tell from the look of the small dial button on that picture, I do miss that little green circle. The RX II probably doesn't have the program functions, that the RX has.

Wolfram

G

Dirk wrote: The new RX II does neither have mirror lock up (also not via 2 sec. selftimer)

A mirror prefire via the 2s selftimer would have really been a very nice feature and a very good reason to buy a RX II (instead of a used RX). It think it should be very easy to implement this and it's a shame that Kyocera doesn't do it [sigh].

Bernhard

G

> They could also have put in the ceramic pressure plate from the ST... perhaps they don't want another body to compete too much with RTS3. >

G

Good morning all together!

Very bad news I just got from Yashica in Vienna: RXII will not be available at any time in Europe, because the price should be higher (!!) as for the old RX, allthough at Kyoceras website You can read the opposite. So we have the only choice between the Aria and the RTSIII.

Regards
Wolfgang