DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

What lens after the Zeiss 35mm

>=20 >=20 >=20 > [I would go Macro, may be at 100mm focal length so it can also double as > general purpose telephoto. Kaisern > ] >=20 >=20 >=20

Go Macro?? There are no 'macro' lenses in the G-series, nor is there a 100mm. Wrong forum, Kaisern.

I'd have to agree with Trisnadi, the 90mm seems like a good choice for a second lens to complement the 35mm. And the 35mm is a damned versatile lens, IMHO.

>=20 >=20 >=20 > [Sorry, I did not pay attention and I thought it is for Contax SLRs. For= G > system, I will do 21mm after the 35mm. Kaisern] >=20 >=20 >=20

No question in my mind that the 21mm would be my next choice. Ultra-wide angle suits the kind of photography that I like. Even though, I use the 21mm sparingly, it is amazing to me how many of my best photos were taken with it. In case you're wondering, I use the 35mm and 45mm lenses for most general photography.

the best explanation i've heard (lifted from www.dantestella.com) is this:
35mm is both eyes open, glancing at what you see. 45mm is one eye open. 90mm is the detail you see with one eye open. 28/21mm i have no idea, i don't 'see' that wide.
if you're hunting detail, check out the 90mm. if you are seeing things with slightly more detail than the 35mm but still not 'wide' you are looking at a 45mm(actully a 48mm ) planar. if you are a horse, you'll be happiest with the hologon!

On a somewhat related note, is there any way to determine by looking at an image at what focal length it was taken? For ex&le, if a wide angle lens was used, the perspective seems more natural if the photo is held closer to one's eyes.

Obviously the compression and lack of DOF associated with a telephoto stands out, but the difference between a 20MM, 24MM, 28MM, and 35MM (for ex&le) does not always seem readily apparent (especially if the photo may have been cropped).....or perhaps it is all just intangible experience??

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!

Back